Audio By Carbonatix
Nigeria’s contingent to the 2nd Summer Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing, China, shunned the opening ceremony yesterday and are due to depart China today according to the News Agency of Nigeria. This, as a result of what Nigeria’s Consul General in Shanghai, Ayo Otepola, described as an “unusual and demoralizing” approach to the Ebola virus.
According to reports, Team Nigeria withdrew from the Olympics because its athletes were isolated and barred from training due to concerns over Ebola.
Otepola, who was in Nanjing to coordinate ``Nigeria’s orderly withdrawal” explained that China’s approach to the Ebola virus was different from how Scotland tackled it at the just- concluded Commonwealth Games.
``The athletes complained of total stigmatisation, they were quarantined and this action demoralised them. One of them said the treatment was like that of someone carrying Ebola virus and they were being treated everywhere with suspicion,” Otepola said in an e-mail sent to NAN.
``They were also required to submit themselves twice every day for medical examination. This is unusual because they had been examined initially at the port of entry and on arrival at the games village.’’
According to Otepola, ``The hosts gathered experts to determine participation of Ebola-infected countries and the risk of infection. The experts determined that the risk of a visitor coming from Sierra Leone with Ebola remains very low.
``Also the risk of exportation of the virus to a non-endemic country has been historically very rare. It is based on this informed decision that countries like Sierra Leone participated at the games without any excessive measures that smirks of discrimination.’’
Otepola said in the case of China, members of Team Nigeria were tested and none was positive of fever or Ebola.
“They were tested and monitored on arrival at the airport and at the hotel, yet athletes complained that they were overtly and clearly discriminated against at the games village. They were separated from other contingents during daily practice. The Consul General could not even find a hotel space to hold a meeting with the Nigerian contingent,” he added.
Otepola commended the decision of the Nigeria Government to withdraw from the games in order to maintain the dignity and pride of the country. He also praised the athletes for their spirit of commitment to the country. Nigeria went to the games with 11 athletes and seven officials led by Dr Abdulkadir Mu’azu, Director, Sports Medicine Department of the National Sports Commission.
The games, which commenced with the opening ceremony yesterday, will end on Aug 28.
Latest Stories
-
Gov’t targets petroleum upstream recovery after five years of consecutive decline
2 minutes -
TUC welcomes ICJ ruling affirming workers’ right to strike
30 minutes -
NDC teachers launch grassroots political drive in Western North
52 minutes -
GN Savings and Loans to reopen first branch in Elmina – Nduom
1 hour -
Mr Eazi’s Zagadat Capital acquires 17.31 per cent stake in Intravenous Infusions PLC
2 hours -
Usyk keeps titles with controversial Verhoeven stoppage
2 hours -
Suspect killed after opening fire on Secret Service near White House
2 hours -
Mahama, Macron push new chapter on reparatory justice
3 hours -
Ghana Institute of Architects cracks down on fake architects and illegal practice
3 hours -
Ghana to destroy over 4,000 illegal weapons in nationwide arms amnesty exercise
3 hours -
Headmen and Queen Mothers meet in Binde to promote lasting peace in Mamprugu Kingdom
4 hours -
Tension in Kasoa: Assembly pulls down shops for 24-hour economy project
5 hours -
FIFA World Cup: Iran moves camp from USA to Mexico, amid ongoing conflict
5 hours -
Eastern Regional Minister halts Koforidua China Mall project over severe flooding
5 hours -
Tamale police arrest suspect with large quantities of drugs
6 hours