Audio By Carbonatix
David Nwamini, the would-be kidney donor in the organ trafficking case that sent Nigerian Senator Ike Ekweremadu, 60, to jail, has said he wants to remain and work in the UK, as “they could arrest me or kill me in Nigeria”.
His impact statement was read in court, at the sentencing that saw Ekweremadu, his wife, Beatrice, 56, and the doctor-middleman, Obinna Obeta, 51, jailed, 10 years and 8 months, 4 years and six months, and 10 years, respectively.
The three were found guilty at the Old Bailey, of conspiring to arrange the travel of a young man with a view to exploiting him for his body part.
The Ekweremadus’ 25-year-old daughter, Sonia, has a severe kidney disease. It was for her the donor was sourced and brought to the UK.
According to David, he was approached with an opportunity to work in the UK, which he had always dreamed of but never thought would happen.
“He (Dr Obina Obeta) did not tell me he brought me here for this reason. He did not tell me anything about this.
“I would have not agreed to any of this. My body is not for sale.
“I worry for my safety in Nigeria. Those people can do anything. I think they could arrest me or kill me in Nigeria.
“My plan now is to work and to get an education and to play football,” David said, adding that he does not want to claim compensation from the “bad people” as it would be “cursed and bad luck”.
He also said someone visited his father in Nigeria and asked the father to get him to drop the case.
Although it is lawful to donate a kidney, it becomes criminal if there is a reward.
The Ekweremadus were arrested on June 21 last year as they arrived at Heathrow Airport.
Latest Stories
-
FIFA World Cup: Iran moves camp from USA to Mexico, amid ongoing conflict
53 minutes -
Tamale police arrest suspect with large quantities of drugs
1 hour -
BoG pushes for integrated African payment systems to boost trade — Dr Asiama
1 hour -
Two people shot in encounter with Secret Service near the White House
2 hours -
Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo
2 hours -
US Secret Service investigates reports of shots near White House
2 hours -
ECG injects GH¢3m into power upgrades across 40 Accra communities
2 hours -
‘Owadiah’ makes history: William Opare becomes first Ghanaian to break 45 seconds in 400m
3 hours -
Scottish woman ‘was on a mission’ to find out who her Ghanaian husband was. Then she died
3 hours -
Four Ada SHS students arrested after viral cutlass threat video sparks alarm
3 hours -
Christopher Bonsu Baah win Staff Player of the Year award in debut season with Al Qadsiah
4 hours -
Laryea Kingston’s Uganda beat Ghana 8-7 on penalties to secure U-17 World Cup spot and extend Black Starlets’ absence to nine years
4 hours -
FIFA U17 World Cup playoffs: Uganda beat Black Starlets on penalties to qualify
4 hours -
GN Savings and Loans: Ndoum thanks Mahama after Court of Appeal victory
4 hours -
2026 U17 WWCQ: Goalfest in Accra as Black Maidens hit Liberia for six
4 hours