Audio By Carbonatix
American rapper Kanye West has joined the tall list of celebrities across the globe criticising Nigeria’s Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).
The unit over the past few weeks have been accused of killing the youth, extortion, taking bribes, unlawful arrests, profiling people wrongly among others.
Although SARS, formed in 1992 to fight crime, exists to protect the people, Nigerians believe the police are now the criminals creating chaos in the society.
People in the country for the past few days embarked on a nationwide protest voicing out their concerns while calling on government officials to disband SARS.
The protests against the squad were sparked by a video of a man allegedly being killed by police.
In a Twitter post on Monday, October 12, 2020, Kanye West backed the concerns of the citizens.
He stated that it was essential for Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari listens to the cries of his people.
"I stand with my Nigerian brothers and sisters to end police brutality, the government must answer to the peoples cries #EndPoliceBrutalityinNigeria."
I stand with my Nigerian brothers and sisters to end police brutality, the government must answer to the peoples cries #EndPoliceBrutalityinNigeria
— ye (@kanyewest) October 12, 2020
Meanwhile, President Muhammadu Buhari had earlier said he was determined to end police brutality by introducing new reforms but protesters still demand that the unit be disbanded rather.
According to them, previous commitments to change police behaviour had had no effect, hence, they want SARS to be wiped off completely.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
4 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
5 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
5 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
5 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
5 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
5 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
5 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
5 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
5 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
5 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
5 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
6 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
6 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
6 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
6 hours