Audio By Carbonatix
Chelsea star and Ghana international Michael Essien has denied media reports he assured new Stars coach Goran Stevanovic he will return to the Black Stars for next month’s crucial African Cup of Nations qualifier against Congo.
He admitted having a brief conversation with the coach but added “we didn't talk about dates and I didn't tell him I was available to play in March.”
”I am not sure where those stories came from. When I decided to take a break I knew some Ghanaians will be disappointed but I felt at the time it was the right decision after two horrible injuries. Hopefully when I come back into the Ghanaian team the break will be beneficial for the Ghana team and me.”
In a statement posted on his website, Essien said both he and the coach had agreed to have detailed discussion about his return to the Stars at a later date.
“I don't want Ghanaians to believe these stories and then in March be disappointed that I am not in the team. I will definitely return to the team at some point in the future however it won’t be for the upcoming games. I haven't told the coach or anyone else that,” he asserted.
“It's Ghana's team and I am no different from any other player when it comes to selection. The coach decides who should play from the team available to him and I respect all the comments passed about selection and availability. All I can say to Ghanaians is that I had two bad injuries and they were part of the reason for taking a mini break. I had to give my body a chance and I can say, so far so good,” Essien added.
Asked when he scheduled to meet coach Stevanovic, Essien said, “I don't know when he will be in the UK but whenever he is here, we have agreed to meet. I am ready to meet him and whatever discussions we have, I am sure will come out either through me or him. He sounded like a nice guy on the phone so I am looking forward to meeting him.”
He said despite not returning immediately to the team, he certainly will be at Wembley to support the team.
Source: Myjoyonline.com/Ghana
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
India and Africa: Relations beyond rhetorics
2 minutes -
Top Zambian opposition figures arrested days after presidential vote
2 minutes -
‘I’m not against enforcing the law’ – Archbishop Duncan-Williams defends call for prayer against galamsey, gold smuggling
7 minutes -
Tantalus or Triumph? Ghana and the Harvest of Economic Recovery
15 minutes -
Ghanaians have no idea how much foreigners make from galamsey – Archbishop Duncan-Williams
37 minutes -
Today’s front pages: Monday, August 17, 2026
39 minutes -
‘If you want to imprison me over my friendship with Bawumia, go ahead’ – Rev. Kusi Boateng
58 minutes -
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
3 hours -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
3 hours -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
3 hours -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
3 hours -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
3 hours -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
3 hours -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
3 hours -
Fire ravages wooden structures at Tantra Hill’s Golden Door area
4 hours