Audio By Carbonatix
FOOTBALL's miracle man Fabrice Muamba today announced his retirement from the game.
The Bolton Wanderers star, who suffered a cardiac arrest during an FA Cup tie in March, said he was devastated his footy career was over but had to put his health first.
He thanked the medical team who saved him and said he was grateful for all the support he has received.
Muamba's heart stopped for 78 minutes after he collapsed on the pitch at White Hart Lane on March 17.
Millions on TV watched as medics from both teams and a heart specialist who rushed from the stands desperately battled to keep him alive.
He spent a month in hospital but stunned doctors with his amazing recovery and never gave up hope of a return to the pitch.
The midfielder even underwent a heart operation in Belgium last week as he set his sights on a comeback.
His fiancee Shauna tweeted a hopeful update to friends and family following the surgery.
She said: "Thank you guys for the support if it is Gods will @fmuamba will play again even better and stronger than before. Faith can move mountains."
But docs told him playing in the top flight could put too much strain on his heart and was not worth the risk.
A source said: “Fabrice is devastated as you can imagine.”
Despite the disappointment, the soccer ace is determined to stay positive.
Before the announcement, he cryptically tweeted: “KEEP SMILING PEOPLE.”
The star is now in line for a multi-million pound insurance payout.
Muamba's cardiac arrest was not the first time he has battled against the odds.
His family fled war in the Democratic Republic of Congo before seeking asylum in the UK.
Despite arriving in London aged 11 unable to speak English, he managed to get 10 GCSEs and three A-levels at school.
He then joined Arsenal FC’s youth academy in 2002 before moving to Birmingham and then Bolton in 2008.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Berekuso chief appeals to Mahama over deplorable Katesi-Berekuso-Dome-Kwabenya road
7 minutes -
Freda Kingful Abraham Cudjoe: The visionary founder building a creative legacy through Impakers Creative Hub
11 minutes -
Tanker drivers suspend strike after BOST commits to fix Kumasi depot challenges
14 minutes -
Photos: Stonebwoy’s BHIM Festival at OVO Arena Wembley, London
22 minutes -
BoG identifies $4.8bn annual SME financing gap, pushes digital data-driven lending
36 minutes -
Labone bank robbery suspect remanded
40 minutes -
NTC launches 2026 Ghana Teacher Prize to celebrate outstanding educators
41 minutes -
Hanan Abdul-Hamid cannot be forced to face trial without lawyer — Dame
50 minutes -
MTTD to make Accra model city for safe riding – ACP Dr Samuel Sasu Mensah
50 minutes -
NPP Upper West eyes 2028 comeback; dismisses vote-buying allegations in regional executive elections
56 minutes -
Minaata Moomin defeats Nancy Dery in NPP Upper West Regional Women’s Organiser election
58 minutes -
Constituency Games will take Mahama’s ‘Reset Ghana sports agenda’ to every community – Samson Deen
58 minutes -
Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov praises Kwame Nkrumah’s legacy during meeting with Ablakwa
59 minutes -
Bleoo 2G alumni hand over Beatrice Lokko Memorial Eco Park
1 hour -
‘I will not be available’ – Godfred Dame rejects vacation hearing in Hanan trial
1 hour