Audio By Carbonatix
Patrons of the Kwame Nkrumah Circle branch of Las Palmas Restaurant have threatened to boycott the popular eatery if its management fails to correct sanitation breaches identified by AMA officials.
“I always eat here, but I never knew this is how they prepare the food. If I knew, I’d never have come here”, one of the customers told Joy News.
Another said, “This is where we eat, and the food is really nice. But if this is how they operate, then it’s better we go far away to buy food”.

Environmental Health Officers of the Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA) on Wednesday shut down the eatery.
This follows a visit by the Joy Clean Ghana Team to the branch, which revealed that the food sold there was being prepared without recourse to sanitation regulations.
Director of Public Health at the Accra Metropolitan Assembly, Florence Kuukyi, cited the unavailability of a dedicated toilet facility for the eatery, even though several of the workers lived on the premises.
Other reasons included; the unsanitary conditions under which the food on sale at the eatery was being prepared and none of the workers was able to show a medical certificate qualifying them to sell food to the general public.
“We are closing it down. First, because of the conditions under which they cook and sell the food. Look at the net above us, it had been overtaken by dust and cobwebs, and this is where they cook the food. So anything at all could fall into the food, and no one will know”, Florence Kuukyi noted.

“Also, contrary to the AMA Bye-Laws 2017, they don’t have a toilet facility here. Some of them sleep in this building. It’s not far to think that when they are pressed, they do in polythene bags and fly them outside”, she added.
The supervisor at the eatery, who identified herself as Aunty Hannah, explained why none of the workers had a medical certificate.
“When they did it, I was not here. I was in Kumasi, so I think that it is at our Head Office at Abeka. So I will have to call them to bring it”, she initially explained.

It however, later emerged that the workers were new staff who had never taken the tests yet.
This added on to the offences noted by the AMA team. They therefore issued a closure notice to the supervisor. The closure notice takes effect from Thursday, July 22, 2021, until steps have been taken to correct the sanitation breaches.
Latest Stories
-
GN Savings and Loans to reopen first branch in Elmina – Nduom
32 minutes -
Mr Eazi’s Zagadat Capital acquires 17.31 per cent stake in Intravenous Infusions PLC
1 hour -
Mahama, Macron push new chapter on reparatory justice
2 hours -
Ghana Institute of Architects cracks down on fake architects and illegal practice
3 hours -
Ghana to destroy over 4,000 illegal weapons in nationwide arms amnesty exercise
3 hours -
Headmen and Queen Mothers meet in Binde to promote lasting peace in Mamprugu Kingdom
4 hours -
Tension in Kasoa: Assembly pulls down shops for 24-hour economy project
4 hours -
FIFA World Cup: Iran moves camp from USA to Mexico, amid ongoing conflict
4 hours -
Eastern Regional Minister halts Koforidua China Mall project over severe flooding
5 hours -
Tamale police arrest suspect with large quantities of drugs
5 hours -
BoG pushes for integrated African payment systems to boost trade — Dr Asiama
5 hours -
Two people shot in encounter with Secret Service near the White House
5 hours -
Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo
6 hours -
US Secret Service investigates reports of shots near White House
6 hours -
ECG injects GH¢3m into power upgrades across 40 Accra communities
6 hours