President of the Sports Writers Association of Ghana (SWAG) and veteran commentator Kwabena Yeboah has warned clubs may ‘go extinct’ if the local league is cancelled.
The 2019/2020 football season was suspended in March after the ban on all public gatherings was enforced by President Akufo-Addo as part of measures to contain the spread of Covid-19.
Weeks into the decision, conversations have ensued among stakeholders about the implications on the rest of the football season as the duration of the move grows longer than anticipated.
But speaking on PM Express on May 20, 2020, Mr Yeboah feared that the already struggling clubs will crumble.
‘Even when the league was in full flight, the clubs suffered a great deal. Embarrassingly in Ghana, some of our players take home a poultry 100 dollars at the end of the month and you will just wonder how they will survive on that. If the league is cancelled, I bet you that quite a number of our teams could be extinct,” Mr Yeboah told Gary Al-Smith.
The SWAG President also wants government to allow clubs to benefit from the Covid-19 stimulus packages to improve the livelihoods of individuals in the sporting value chain.
Kwabena Yeboah was on the show with sportscaster Robert Marawa and international commentators Peter Drury and Jon Champion.
Missed the ‘Football After COVID-19’ show on PM Express? Watch it all again here.
- One feared dead, several others injured after accident at Legon underpass
- Citi FM journalist, Caleb Kudah allegedly picked up by National Security operatives
- Leadership crisis at Ghana Rugby: Chairman Herbert Mensah suspended indefinitely, set to be removed from office on June 8
- Fire guts new Kejetia Market
- Ghana drops to 95th in 2021 World Happiness ranking
- Chinua Achebe’s ‘Things Fall Apart’, ‘No Longer at Ease’ and ‘Arrow of God’ are being adapted for television
- Cape Coast airport to be completed before end of second term – Transport Minister assures
- Our scholars in Cuba are broke because they insist on table-top payment – GNPC Foundation
- Wesley Girls: Aside ban on fasting Muslims aren’t allowed to observe Salat – Old student
- Social media users list Top 5 Ghanaian players
Nursing aide gets 7 life terms for killing 7 elderly VA patients with insulin
Ghana to host African Swimming and Open Water championships
Chief breaks ground for multipurpose Nkawkaw Palace
Double whammy for Ghana in Old Mutual Amazing Voices
RTI Law is to empower citizens and to fight corruption – RTI Coalition
Mental disorder after childbirth is real – Victim recounts
Transgender Cameroonians jailed for 5 years
Dr Prince Hamid Armah: Exploring Akufo-Addo’s commitment to education; Policy, spending, and outcomes
Politicisation of security agencies cause of insecurity in the country- Sam George
Museveni takes oath for 6th term
Ghana has not done enough to get girls out of the streets – Development consultant
China’s population grows to 1.41 billion people
Uganda deploys troops ahead of Museveni inauguration
Banks cannot be blamed for not accepting new Voter ID cards – Association of Bankers
9-year-old boy dies after being ‘struck by lightning’ on football field