Audio By Carbonatix
France's National Assembly has taken a first step towards banning social media access for under-15s, a proposal backed by President Emmanuel Macron.
Lawmakers in the lower house on Monday agreed key elements of the bill, and are now expected to vote on the full text. The bill still needs to be approved by the upper house, the Senate.
If the legislation is passed, young teenagers would not be able to use networks such as Snapchat, Instagram and TikTok.
The French move is part of a worldwide trend towards restricting social networks for children, triggered by growing evidence of the damage they can cause to mental health. A similar law was passed in Australia late last year.
"With this law we will set down a clear limit in society," said Laure Miller, a lawmaker behind the bill, as quoted by Le Monde.
"We are saying something very simple: social networks are not harmless," she added.
"These networks promised to bring people together. They pulled them apart. They promised to inform. They saturated us with information. They promised to entertain. They shut people away."
Macron has said he wants the ban in place by the start of the school year in September.
"We cannot leave the mental and emotional health of our children in the hands of people whose sole purpose is to make money out of them," he said last month.
Under the new text, the state media regulator would compile a list of social media platforms deemed harmful. These would be simply banned for under-15-year-olds.
A separate list of supposedly less harmful sites would be accessible, but only with explicit parental approval.
The bill is believed to have a good chance of passing, with pro-Macron parties likely to be joined by the centre-right Republicans (LR) and the populist right-wing National Rally (RN).
Another clause would ban the use of mobile telephones in senior schools (lycées). The ban is already in effect in junior and middle schools.
If the law is passed, France will need to agree on the mechanism for age verification. A system is already in place that requires over-18-year-olds to prove their age when accessing online pornography.
In Europe, Denmark, Greece, Spain and Ireland are also considering following the Australian example. Earlier this month, the UK government launched a consultation on banning social media for under-16s.
The basis of the proposed French law is a text drawn up late last year by deputy Laure Miller, who chaired a parliamentary committee enquiry into the psychological effects of TikTok and other networks.
Separately, the government was told to draw up its own legislation after Macron decided to make the issue a centrepiece of his last year in office.
The president has been sidelined from domestic politics since the Assembly elections he called in 2024 resulted in a hung parliament, and the social media ban has been a rare opportunity to court public favour.
For a time, the cause risked being caught up in bickering between Macron and his one-time prime minister, Gabriel Attal (Miller is an MP from Attal's party). But in the end, the government appears to have rallied behind the Miller bill.
If the text is approved, it will pass before the upper house, the Senate, in the next month. Macron said he had asked the government of Prime Minister Sébastien Lecornu to use a fast-track procedure to get the legislation on the books by September.
Without resorting to the fast-track (which permits a single reading rather than two in each house), the law would have little chance of getting past the legislative backlog created by Lecornu's difficulties in passing a budget.
The bill has already had to be redrafted to take account of questions raised by the Council of State, the body which previews draft legislation to ensure it conforms with French and European law.
A 2023 law, which proposed a similar ban on social media for young teenagers, proved unenforceable after the courts ruled it violated European law.
Latest Stories
-
Prince-Osei Owusu nominated for MLS All-Star Game after Montreal Player of the Month award
2 hours -
AFCON U-17: Black Starlets beat South Africa 3-1 but await CAF draw of lots to determine fate
2 hours -
A time will come they must step aside – Kwakye Ofosu warns ambitious appointees
3 hours -
2028 jostling won’t save NDC if Mahama government fails – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
3 hours -
ORAL delivering results, more cases ahead – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
4 hours -
SpaceX files for IPO that could make Elon Musk a trillionaire
4 hours -
Spain midfielder Fermin Lopez ruled out of World Cup
4 hours -
Major-minor nations split in World Cup qualifying
5 hours -
Players to cut short French Open interviews in pay row
5 hours -
NATARAJ Art competition inspires young creativity in Ghana
5 hours -
Empty rooms and FIFA cancellations – US hotels fear World Cup washout
5 hours -
Prince William celebrates ‘amazing night’ as Villa fans party
5 hours -
Ebola vaccine could take nine months as death toll rises further, WHO warns
5 hours -
Money can be traced in GIIF ‘Sky Train’ case – Kow Essuman fires back at Deputy AG
5 hours -
25/26 UEFA Europa League: Unai Emery leads Aston Villa to first European trophy in 44 years
5 hours