Audio By Carbonatix
A galamsey pit at Ntotroso in the Asutifi North District of the Ahafo Region has collapsed, killing two persons in the process.
The victims, Kwabena Saaben and Joshua Baidoo were each believed to be 32 years old.
In an interview, the District Police Commander of Asutifi North and South, DSP Paul A. Ahenkan, said the police received an anonymous call around 9am that two persons had been trapped in the pit since dawn and were yet to be rescued.

The District Commander told Adom News’ Christian Ofori Kumah that a team made up of personnel from the Asutifi North District Fire Service and the Police Service, was subsequently dispatched to the location.
DSP Paul Ahenkan said after hours of digging, the bodies of the victims were finally retrieved from the pit.
He blames the death of the men on the delay in relaying the information to the police. He said, had the issue been reported immediately it happened, the men would not have suffocated to death in the pit.

He used the opportunity to warn other illegal miners to desist from the act while urging residents to report hidden locations that are still experiencing the galamsey menace.
Meanwhile, the bodies of the victims have been deposited at the Saint Elizabeth Hospital Morgue at Hwidiem the capital of Asutifi South District for autopsy, while the police commence an investigation into the incident.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
3 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
3 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
4 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
4 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
4 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
4 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
4 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
4 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
4 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
4 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
5 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
5 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
5 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
5 hours