Xavi claimed his first trophy as Barcelona manager after a comfortable victory over rivals Real Madrid in the Spanish Super Cup final.
The La Liga leaders dominated the match in Saudi Arabia and took the lead when 18-year-old Gavi fired in from Robert Lewandowski’s pass.
Lewandowski struck just before halftime when he finished from Gavi’s pass.
Gavi got another assist in the second half as he set up Pedri before Karim Benzema struck a late consolation.
The Frenchman’s late goal was scant consolation for Real Madrid, who were a distant second-best throughout.
Indeed, Thibaut Courtois prevented Barcelona from winning by an even bigger margin with a couple of smart saves.
The former Chelsea goalkeeper was tested early when he turned Lewandowski’s sweeping effort onto the post and he also kept out Ousmane Dembele’s powerful strike.
But after Pedri got his side’s third midway through the second half with a tap-in there was never any doubt about the result as Barcelona won the Super Cup for the first time since 2018.
Real Madrid were just unable to handle the brilliance of Gavi who, alongside his two assists, became the youngest scorer in a Spanish Super Cup, with his goal surpassing the record of his current manager Xavi.
Back in October, these two sides faced each other in the first El Clasico meeting of the season, with Real Madrid easing to a 3-1 win.
But Barcelona have since only gone from strength to strength and are currently top of La Liga, three points clear of Real, with this victory extending their unbeaten run in all competitions to nine games.
- Former Minister for Monitoring and Evaluation, Dr Akoto Osei dies aged 64
- Akufo-Addo swears in 3 new members of Electoral Commission
- AFCON 2023Q: Chris Hughton opens Black Stars camp with 8 players
- GACL settles GH¢10m out of GH¢28m owed ECG; balance to be paid in 2-weeks
- ECG disconnects power to Ho Airport, GRA and KFC over debt
- ECG recovers GH¢18.5m out of GH¢46.9m from 3 state institutions
- Dismiss hangers-on appointees at Presidency – Asiedu Nketia tells Akufo-Addo
- Akufo-Addo’s promises have turned out to be scam – Asiedu Nketia
- Pregnant woman fills potholes on Obuasi road
- Playback: NDC delivered ‘True State of the Nation Address’
- GALARY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Female farmers less likely to leave crop residues to decompose – KNUST research
- Drivers in Kumasi speed on weekends – Research reveals
- Implement existing laws to protect consumer – CUTS urges regulators
- Ayorkor Botchwey cuts sod for construction of Foreign Ministry annex
- NAB names Lora Dennis as 2023 Digital Leadership Award honoree
- Bad Bunny sued for $40m by ex-girlfriend
- Go to school, don’t wait to get everything on your prospectus – Education Minister to SHS freshers
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- Trading of government bonds falls by 21.09% to ¢119.05m
- Ecobank Ghana named Best Trade Finance Provider by Global Finance Magazine
- Court revokes bail for estate developer, two others
- DDEP: Financial institutions regulators should protect customers, not government – Dan Seddoh
- Huawei’s FinTech 2.0 to support Ghana’s Mobile Money, deepen financial inclusion
- Fella Makafui reacts after Twitter user accuses her of ‘sleeping’ with Medikal’s ex-manager