Audio By Carbonatix
Former Municipal Chief Executive of Akuapem North, George Opare Addo has formally declared his intention to run as National Youth Organiser of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC).
The aspiring Youth Organiser made his intentions known at a press conference held on Tuesday at the Summit Lodge in Koforidua.
Speaking to teeming supporters most of whom were constituency Youth Organisers, George Opare Addo, popularly known as Pablo said his desire to contest for the position stems from his desire to see the NDC return to power in 2020.
"Last year, during my 'Listening Tour', I had the opportunity to listen first hand the concerns of many Constituency Youth Organisers and party faithfuls on their thoughts on returning the party to power. Their desire to see a vibrant, resilient and hard-working Youth Wing was inspiring. We agreed that for the NDC to return to power, the Youth will play a large role hence a capable person must lead the Youth Wing," he said.
According to him, his decision did not come lightly. He said,"I had to fully assess the situation and held multiple consultations to arrive at this decision. I have measured myself and believe I am prepared to lead a Youth Desk capable of leading the charge against this incompetent and inept government of the NPP."
He added that there is only one agenda he will be pursuing as National Youth Organiser: to ensure the National Democratic Congress is voted back into power.
The former MCE also used the occasion to address issues surrounding the registration of the National Identification Cards.
According to him, "the refusal of the NIA to register Ghanaians with Voter ID cards is a deliberate attempt to prevent people from getting their Ghana cards and must be condemned by all well-meaning Ghanaians.
He said the recent dismissal of the Director of the Birth and Death Registry in the Volta Region smacks of a hidden agenda by the ruling party.
Interacting with journalists after the presser, he said he has committed himself with the task of seeing the NDC enter the Flagstaff House in 2020.
The occasion also saw many youth organizers openly declaring their support for his candidature.
The aspiring Youth Organiser has served twice as MCE, first under Prof John Evans Attah Mills and President John Mahama.
He is also a two-time parliamentary candidate for Okere Constituency, in 2008 and 2012. He holds a degree in Psychology and Philosophy from the University of Ghana.
He also holds an Executive Masters in Governance & Leadership from GIMPA as well as an LLB from the same institution. He is currently a Bachelor of Law candidate at the Ghana School of Law.
Latest Stories
-
COKA visits Kokofu after Ashanti NPP win, calls for unity ahead of 2028
2 minutes -
Bono East crowns Kintampo SHS, Gyarko Community Day SHS for national public speaking finals
21 minutes -
GRIDCo completes initial repair works on Ashaiman transmission line
30 minutes -
Egyapa Mercer donates hairdryers to graduating hairdressers in Sekondi
37 minutes -
Health Ministry hands 30 ambulances to National Security for refurbishment
41 minutes -
Republic Bank deepens commitment to homeownership with nationwide JoyNews Habitat Fair partnership
46 minutes -
Archbishop Duncan-Williams links galamsey to Ghana’s wider culture of indiscipline
48 minutes -
India’s clean energy leadership in green hydrogen
57 minutes -
Ghana’s Road Safety Crisis: We must move from reaction to prevention
60 minutes -
Duncan-Williams urges Church to educate Ghanaians on dangers of galamsey and gold smuggling
1 hour -
New Defence Minister pledges technology-led defence posture
1 hour -
India and Africa: Relations beyond rhetorics
1 hour -
Top Zambian opposition figures arrested days after presidential vote
1 hour -
‘I’m not against enforcing the law’ – Archbishop Duncan-Williams defends call for prayer against galamsey, gold smuggling
1 hour -
Tantalus or Triumph? Ghana and the Harvest of Economic Recovery
2 hours