Ghana will be seeking to win her first medal at the World University Games when this year's edition kicks off in Seoul, South Korea.
The Ghana University Sports Association (GUSA) will participate in three sporting disciplines – table tennis, badminton and athletics.
The team's football side were not included in the travelling contingent, although they are the reigning African champions, due to financial constraints.
Ghana finished second on the medal log at the African edition last year and 100m champion Emmanuel Appiah Kubi is aiming to replicate such success on the world stage
“I know last year I was first in Africa. Hopefully, we are going to meet different competition altogether but we are thankful for the training we've gone through,” Appiah Kubi told Joy Sports.
“It seems we have a lot of preparations but it is all about determination and how you set your mind. We will not talk about the training time being short for us but the determination that we have.”
The athlete is confident about team Ghana’s chances.
“I am really confident in the team because we have been competing with some friends at El-Wak and their efforts to beat us proved futile.”
“We always push to beat them in their races but we are hoping that we run a good time in the heat that can qualify us for the finals and maybe the All African games. That is our main hope for the year.”
The event, which is the second biggest sports gathering in the world after the Olympics, will witness over 9,000 students athletes from over 170 countries across the globe compete in over 16 different disciplines.
- Disregard statement declaring Friday, Sept 30 as a holiday – Oyibi Divisional Council
- GFA suspends 2022/23 Ghana Premier League over court injunction
- Man arrested for threatening to release nude videos of late brother’s wife
- ‘I’m extremely regretful’ – KiDi apologises for ‘inappropriate and unkind’ old tweets
- T Bills, short-term securities will not be affected by Ghana’s debt restructuring – US-based Associate Professor
- Every single day Akufo-Addo remains President, the country drifts into peril – Dr Amoako Baah
- Land acquisition: Here is what you missed on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show
- Pastor jailed for life after planning coup and black genocide
- We will still be a prime supplier of Mercedes-Benz services in Ghana – Silver Star
- My husband left me for a ‘sugar mummy’ after 9 months of marriage – Woman shares experience
- Edmund Addo returns to Sheriff Tiraspol after botched summer transfer
- Chinese employer who allegedly slashed throat of Ghanaian employee to be arraigned today
- Elikem Asenath Naa Obiorkor Commey
- State TV off-air amid gunfire in Burkina Faso
- King Charles III: New coins featuring monarch’s portrait unveiled
- Africa’s biotechnology heroes celebrated on OFAB Day
- Queen Elizabeth II died of “old age” – Death certificate reveals
- Uganda gives green light to organ transplants
- Peace deal’ signed by Nigerian presidential rivals
- Mozambique police urges ‘knives and machetes’ war on jihadists
- Mankessim murder: Accused persons allegedly confess to killing 3 more people
- From Eric’s Diary: Why the deadline for SIM re-registration will be extended
- Cedi depreciation may force marginal increase in price of petrol, LPG from October 1, 2022
- Today’s front pages: Friday, September 30, 2022
- West African leaders in Mali over detained Ivorians