Some Ghanaian students in the United Kingdom under the Ghana Scholarship Secretariat are said to be stranded as they have not received their monthly stipends for over 8 months.
An online petition calling for government’s assistance to salvage the situation said, some of the students have been dismissed from their schools while others are being chased by their schools and landlords to pay their rent.
“Others have had to overstay because they cannot get money to go back to their country. Some have been sued by their landlords for refusal to pay rent,” the petition noted.
JoyNews interaction with some of the students confirmed the hardship and struggles.
“Those who even graduated December last year were paid only 3 or 4 months of stipend.”
“I came here in September last year. No stipend has been paid,” they disclosed.
Meanwhile, the Scholarship Secretariat in responding to the matter urged the students to remain steadfast and avoid engaging in any illegal act which could lead to embarrassing the country.
“As we conclave to consider strategies, we urge our scholars globally to forswear any acts of wrongdoings that will result in embarrassment to the Government of Ghana.
“In reality, this is the time to exhibit the real character of resilience as a Ghanaian and we advise that Scholars remain steadfast to the terms and conditions of the scholarship award even in the face of these challenges,” a statement from the Secretariat noted.
The Secretariat assured that it will meet students through its “Time with the Registrar” series to discuss the course of action to settle arrears and scholarship commitments.
“Schedules for the remaining countries will be communicated to you in due course via the various students’ platforms and students who wish to join via zoom would be required to register with their student leaders,” the statement added.
- Akufo-Addo swears in 3 new members of Electoral Commission
- ECG disconnects power to Ho Airport, GRA over debt
- Fella Makafui reacts after Twitter user accuses her of ‘sleeping’ with Medikal’s ex-manager
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- Ludacris hangs out with Sarkodie in Ghana, fans speculate new music
- Ghana v Angola: Kingsley Schindler replaces injured Tariq Lamptey
- Cedi may record mixed performance to dollar this week
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Putin says ties with Africa a priority to Moscow
- AFCON 2023Q: Goalpost collapses and injures Wollacott in training
- Ugandan parliament passes bill to jail gay people
- Ghana’s economy is still afloat because of Alan Kyerematen’s vision – Buaben Asamoah
- Intimidation of journalists is on the rise – Kweku Andoh Awotwi
- I have already won Ayawaso West Wuogon NDC primaries – Fred Nuamah
- Playback: One-one-on with Managing Director of ECG on PM Express
- EC has become an annex of the NPP – Sammy Gyamfi
- If you move right, you don’t need 10 shows to be okay – Kelvyn Boy
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- 3 JoyNews journalists win big at Merck Foundation 2022 Media Recognition Awards
- I want to be President to build a new Ghana –Kwaku Kobeah
- Essence of marketing is creation of strong brands – Nsarkoh
- Christiana Awuni explains why ‘slay queens’ can’t quit having body enhancement surgeries
- Spend wisely, desist from expensive borrowing – GSE boss to government
- GOIL supports Appiatse Disaster Fund