The first President of Ghana, Dr Kwame Nkrumah was honoured with a Platinum award at the recently held 2014 Glo-CAF Awards in Lagos, recalling his unmatched contributions to the development of football in Ghana and the African continent during his lifetime.
In a post-event statement issued by Globacom, sponsors of the annual football awards, Ghana’s first President was eulogised for his visionary steps in building the requisite human and institutional capacity which made Ghana a veritable football powerhouse on the continent within just a few years after its independence in 1957.
Dr. Nkrumah held sports, especially football, in high esteem and successfully applied it as a potent tool for national identity and also for marketing his pan-African vision.
In 1964, Osagyefo donated money to put up the Osagyefo Cup which was used to launch the African Clubs Championship, charging the then Confederation of African Football (CAF) to organize an enviable African version of the European Cup for club championship with that trophy.
At home in Ghana, Dr. Nkrumah personally supervised the building of a formidable national team, the Black Stars, which won the Africa Cup of Nations in 1963 and 1965 and also founded the Ghana Academicals, which was an assembly of the best young talents in the country.
- Osagyefo Dr. Kwame Nkrumah, in habitual fashion, greets the Black Stars at the Accra Sports Stadium just before the start of an international game.
“We are happy to be identified with this man of vision whose steps helped to produce a football super power in Ghana in so few years after the country became independent”, the statement said.
“Dr. Nkrumah was an ardent sports enthusiast who promoted football as a sport in his country and on the African continent. As early as 1960, Ghana already had two world class football stadia in Accra and Kumasi and this was responsible in part, for the good showing of Ghana in football on the continent both at the club and national levels”.
The statement said that Globacom draws inspiration from leaders like Nkrumah, who was a shining star across many fronts, including his efforts in uniting Africa through the formation of the Organisation of African Unity (OAU).
“It is the aggregation of his contributions to humanity that make him a leader to remember and a leader to honour and we are happy that the Confederation of African Football (CAF) noticed this and presented the award,” the statement added.
Dr. Nkrumah’s posthumous Platinum Award was received on his behalf by the President of the Ghana Football Association, Kwesi Nyantakyi at Eko Hotel Convention Centre, Lagos, Nigeria.
- Four charged for violating restrictions on public gathering at Christ Embassy ‘Pneumatica Night’
- What is the big deal? – Brigitte Dzogbenuku on WGHS refusing to let students fast
- I had sex with a goat, masturbated 6 times a day – Male victim of sexual abuse recounts
- Police secures restraining order against #FixTheCountry protest on May 9
- Mahama Ayariga acquitted, Opuni ordered to open his defence
- #FixTheCountry protestors counter injunction with #NameAndShame campaign on social media
- #FixTheCountry: We’ll use the courts to set aside order against May 9 protest – Economic Fighters League
- Government declares Thursday, May 13, as public holiday to mark Eid-ul-Fitr
- Dominic Ayine questions independence of judiciary
- Methodist Church stands by its objection to GES directive to let Muslim students fast – Bishop of Northern Accra Diocese
Ban on mining in forest reserve and water bodies yielding results – Lands Ministry
NSMQ 2021: 3-man Sandema SHTS team with no supporters, books place in final U/E qualifiers
Sylvester N. T. T Addy (PhD): What to expect now that Ghana’s Plant Variety Protection law has been passed
No prison inmate contracted Covid-19 since the outbreak – Bawumia
Catholic Relief Service partners GWCL, assemblies to solve water shortage in Tamale Metropolis
Punter wins ¢47,000 bet with Betika
God is a woman; my new song highlights power of women – Eno Barony
Childish Gambino sued by rapper over alleged ‘This Is America’ copying claim
GHAMRO wins copyright case against telcos
Federal grand jury indicts four former Minneapolis police officers in George Floyd’s death
Water project to benefit 13 communities takes off at Ketu South
Hassan Tampuli engages contractors to begin dredging of dams in Gushegu Municipality
Missing ‘okada’ rider found dead in the bush
Thousands of cockroaches released in restaurant to settle debt dispute
Muslim worshippers attacked with eggs and stones outside London mosque