Government will finalise documentation on all railway lines in the Western Region for potential contractors before the end of this year.
This assurance from the Minister of Railway Development, John Peter Amewu follows calls for the improvement in railway services for the transportation of explosive materials for mining firms in the area.
Commenting on the development, Peter Amewu told Joy Business that the president is committed to award the contract before close of the year.
“The Western Railway Line will be given to a contractor by the close of the year which will help with transportation of both passengers and freight. As you can see, there has been a huge investments in the sector in the last four years of the government as compared to previous administrations.”
“We are very focus on revamping the lines and making railway transport an alternative to the current systems available” he stressed.
Swearing in a 10 member board of the Ghana Railway Company Limited in Accra, the Minister of Railways, John Peter Amewu said this has become necessary due to the recent rate of road accidents in the area, including the recent explosion on the Bogoso road.
He charged the board to support various programmes by the company aimed at making railway transportation easily available in the country.
Chairman of the board, Daniel Kwame Adzoble, accepted the challenge and promised to improve the efficiency of the company.
He also disclosed to the media that government is focusing more on the sector due to its enormous benefit.
Other members of the board are Togbe Adzimah V, Buthulezi Wilson Kwashie Akakpo, Samuel Kpabitey Ekow, Adjei Kwasi Boateng, Joseph Appiah Boateng, Eric Owusu, Togbega Tsedze Atakora VII, and Dr. Nuworza Kugbey.
- Black Stars’ Christian Atsu reportedly missing after earthquake in Turkey
- Medical Doctor gets emotional on Joy FM over debt exchange
- My loss to Manny Pacquiao was deliberate – Joshua Clottey
- Photos: British actor Idris Elba visits Manhyia Palace
- 5 injured as Bibiani Zongo residents clash with Asante Gold Corporation security men
- Muntaka accepts Minority leadership reshuffle after meeting with Mahama
- Over 1000 dead as huge quake toppled buildings in Turkey and Syria while people slept
- Government unlikely to pay ¢4.185bn 5-year bond maturing on February 6, 2023
- Cedi continues recent gain against dollar; $1 now ¢10.40
- Individual Pension Bondholders picket at Finance Ministry to demand total exemption from DDEP
- Benjamin Azamati finishes third behind Noah Lyles in New Balance Indoor Grand prix
- We pray Christian Atsu is found safe, sound – Akufo-Addo
- We are set for 1 District, 1 Doctor initiative – Volta-Oti GMA Chairman
- Turkey earthquake: Our thoughts and prayers are with Christian Atsu – GFA
- Turkey earthquake: Three female Ghanaian players confirmed safe
- Algerian opponent Amira Bouraoui arrested and kidnapped in Tunisia
- Haruna Iddrisu accepts changes in Minority leadership
- Pentecostal and Charismatic Council presents communique to government
- Let’s continue to pray for Christian Atsu – Mahama to Ghanaians
- 321live: Season 2 premieres this February
- Imo State University confers doctorate degree on UBA CEO Oliver Alawuba
- ‘God, please’ – Asamoah Gyan prays for Christian Atsu, other celebs join
- Ankaful Psychiatric Hospital offers free treatment to former ‘NSMQ shark’
- Christian Atsu missing: Social media users pray for him
- It is sad BoG unlawfully printed $3.3bn for government – IEA Director of Research