Government will seek to raise ¢1.17 billion in this week’s Treasury bill auction to refinance the upcoming T-bill maturities of ¢1.08 billion.
In the T-bill auction last week, the government secured ¢1.98 billion, missing its target marginally. Although last week’s auction marked the fifth successive under subscription, the government exceeded its refinancing obligation as demand improved over the previous auction.
The surge in inflation is likely to push yields further up. Headline inflation hit 40.40% in October 2022, further widening the negative return spread on money market yields.
With inflation likely to continue its uptrend next month, investors are expected to seek a higher premium to curtail inflation losses.
On the other hand, yields still went up across the T-bill curve as the yield of the 91-day bill cleared at 34.39% (+105 basis points). The yields on the 182-day and 364-day tenors went up to 35.50% (+65 basis points) and 35.08% (+28 basis points), respectively.
Secondary bond market witness a slowdown
The secondary bond market witnessed a slowdown last week as total face traded amounted to ¢2.95bn, representing a 17.51% week-on-week decline.
Tight liquidity conditions hampered trading activity as the market remained net offered.
According to reports, investors mainly traded on the front end of the yield curve, as 62% of trades were executed along the 2022-2025 maturities, with yields widening by an average of 2% on the yield curve.
- West Hills Mall death: Shop manager remanded
- Ablakwa kicks court writ on the ground upon service by bailiff
- Rev Kusi Boateng injuncts Ablakwa from further publications on him
- Growing list of companies ordered by GRA to pay back-taxes
- GOIL attributes drop in diesel price to Gold for Oil barter deal
- Rev Victor Kusi Boateng sues Ablakwa for defamation
- I’ve instructed my lawyers to act on Rev Kusi Boateng’s injunction against me – Ablakwa
- Check out Akufo-Addo’s reaction as Black Sherif performs for him
- Diana Hamilton reveals why she won’t talk about National Cathedral
- Ex-policeman gets death penalty for lawyer’s murder
- Musk found not guilty of fraud over Tesla tweet
- Man shot by police was cleaning out – family
- Number of staff suing Twitter ‘goes up daily’ – lawyer
- Nursing and Midwifery institutes prioritising theory over practical skills – Oncologist
- I started smoking at the age of 11 – Musician OJ Blaq reveals
- Ebenezer Kojo Kum resigns as Chieftaincy Minister
- President Akufo-Addo accepts Chieftaincy Minister’s resignation
- Livestream: One-on-one with Seth Terkper on PM Express
- I did national service in Aliu Mahama’s office despite being NDC member – Sam George
- Flora Tissue grants renowned actor Fred Amugi’s 74th birthday wish
- I’m unable to confirm whether 1st gold for oil consignment was paid in cash – Deputy BoG Governor
- I’ll later explain my comment about people who watch movies for long hours – Yaw Dabo
- University of Ghana VC must go – Concerned students demand
- Groundworks underway for construction of modern film studios in Ghana, West Africa – Idris Elba
- GRA withdraws $672m back-tax demand from MTN Group