Audio By Carbonatix
A home theatre music system, which was received as a gift at a wedding reception, turned out to be a bomb that killed two and injured five in the Indian state of Chhattisgarh.
The incident reportedly happened earlier this week in Chamari village of Kabirdham district.
Chhattisgarh Police claimed that they have solved the case as they revealed that the music system had explosives which blew up when it was plugged into power.
The police said that the victim has been identified as Hemendra Meravi, who got married to Lalita Marwari (22). The wedding ceremony was organised in Chamari village on April 2.
A day after the function, police said that the family members started unwrapping the gifts they had received.
According to ASP Manisha Thakur, who is the investigating officer, said: "As soon as Meravi tried to connect the music system to an electronic socket and switched it on, an explosion occurred, killing him on the spot."
As quoted by media reports, Thakur revealed that the suspect, identified as Sarju Markam, was detained on Tuesday. Markam is reported to be a resident of Madhya Pradesh's Balaghat district.
The investigating officer also said, "During the questioning, the accused confessed to having planted explosives in the music system and gifting it to the newlyweds. We are yet to ascertain from where he got explosives and other details of the case."
Some reports have mentioned that Markam was Lalita's ex-boyfriend. The police also said that during the questioning, it was found that Meravi's wife was in constant touch with Markam.
The officer said that Meravi's brother succumbed to injuries during treatment in the hospital. The other injured people of the same family were rushed to a nearby hospital and are under treatment. "Condition of those injured in the explosion is said to be stable," the ASP added.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
47 minutes -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
58 minutes -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
1 hour -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
1 hour -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
1 hour -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
1 hour -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
1 hour -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
1 hour -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
2 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
2 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
2 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
2 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
2 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
2 hours