Audio By Carbonatix
Health Minister, Kwabena Mintah Akandoh, says the government will implement a 120% upward adjustment in National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) tariffs for healthcare providers beginning next year.
Speaking at the Government’s Accountability Series on Monday, December 1, the Minister said the review marks the boldest overhaul of NHIS payments in years, responding directly to long-standing complaints from service providers about delayed reimbursements and unrealistic tariffs.
According to him, the government inherited an NHIS that was “capped” and crippled by late payments, co-payments, and providers threatening to abandon the scheme. But a full policy shift, he said, has restored confidence.
“Gone were the days when you hear service providers shouting on top of their voices on the rooftop that they were going to withdraw services because they were not receiving payment. And this is no more the case as I speak to you now,” he said.
The Minister stated that the government’s decision to uncap NHIS funds and ensure “prompt releases” has pushed coverage up from 18 million to around 20 million people in less than a year, representing about 60% of the population.
He said the tariff increase is the next major step in restoring the scheme’s credibility.
“Beginning next year, we are going to increase the tariffs in the National Health Insurance to the service providers… the government has taken the decision to increase the tariffs about 120% on average. And I believe this is going to be a game changer,” he announced.
The Minister highlighted major infrastructure commitments captured in the 2026 budget. He noted that President Mahama had pledged to construct regional hospitals in areas without one, and that the first phase will begin next year.
“His Excellency promised the good people of this country that he was going to construct six regional hospitals in the regions where there are none. Fortunately enough, in the 2026 budget, we are going to begin the construction of three regional hospitals, namely the Savannah Region, the Oti Region and the Western North Region.”
He added that GH¢600 million has been allocated for this first phase.
The Minister also stressed that ongoing projects will not be left behind.
“His Excellency the President has again directed that no uncompleted health facility will be abandoned. We’ll continue to pursue La General Hospital, the Konfo Anokye Maternity Block, Shai Osudoku District Hospital, Agenda 111, and all other CHPS compounds.”
He described the current state of medical equipment in many primary facilities as “dire,” and noted that more than 50% of CHPS compounds lack basic equipment.
“The last time we did a major retooling in this country was His Excellency John Dramani Mahama’s first administration. Since then, our health facilities have been suffering,” he said.
As part of the free primary healthcare programme, the government will retool frontline facilities with essential equipment to improve service delivery.
He announced additional investments, including: Three authorisation centres at Korle Bu, Komfo Anokye, and Tamale Teaching Hospitals, DNA testing machines for teaching hospitals and the Noguchi Memorial Institute, and upgrading regional and teaching hospitals to handle non-communicable diseases under Mahama Cares.
The Government Accountability Series provides a platform for sector ministers to present mid-year updates and preliminary assessments of the government’s performance, as part of efforts to promote transparency and accountability.
Latest Stories
-
IES demands release of July 29 blackout report after latest nationwide outage
9 minutes -
Eastern TESCON backs Boakye Agyarko for NPP National Chairman
14 minutes -
Eduwatch demands review of BOGISS decision against 14-year-old alleged sexual abuse victim
19 minutes -
Banking sector was undercapitalised for much of decade preceding 2017 cleanup – Opoku-Afari
21 minutes -
Togo charges two French journalists over incorrect documents, rights group says
22 minutes -
Education Ministry condemns alleged sexual abuse of BOGISS student
32 minutes -
Lawyers challenge demolition of elderly woman’s Oyarifa residence, demand formal engagement
46 minutes -
Change in mode of support package for Ghanaians returning from South Africa delayed announcement – MTN Board Chairman
46 minutes -
Mining industry must rethink social licence with youth at the centre – GoldBod CEO
52 minutes -
BoG encourages banks to list on GSE to unlock long-term capital
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Nandom SHS complete stunning comeback, edge Ghana SHS by a point to reach one-eighth stage
1 hour -
NPP must heal and rebuild after 2024 defeat to win 2028 election – Former Volta Regional Organiser of the NPP
1 hour -
Egypt to host Africa’s premier business forum
1 hour -
The bicycle principle: why continuity matters more than balance
2 hours -
Fire guts three-storey building near Manhyia Palace in Kumasi
2 hours