Audio By Carbonatix
Former Finance Minister Seth Terkper says his fiscal decisions cannot be blamed for the 2016 defeat of the National Democratic Congress (NDC).
He told Joy News’ Emefa Apawu Monday every decision he took was well-thought out and properly vetted by government before it was implemented.
He said he could not have afforded to dole out money to people when the country was going through some critical moments in its history.
“We couldn’t keep the Single Spine Salary Structure at 70 percent including arrears, about 60 percent excluding arrears without doing something about it. You had to take some difficult measures,” he explained.
Many former government officials have been blamed for what has largely been described as the abysmal performance of the NDC in the 2016 presidential poll.
Some of the critics who were in the past regime have laid part of the NDC's defeat at the Finance Minister's doorstep because of what they described as his "rigid policies."
Public Sector Accountancy lecturer at the Accra Technical University, Dr Ibrahim Zubairu said Mr Terkper failed to appropriately respond to the then opposition NPP's claim about the mismanagement of the economy.
But Mr Terkper said he is pleased with his performance as the Finance Minister and that of the government.
He said despite a difficult power crisis which plunged the country into darkness, his government was able to put in adequate measures to solve the problem.
He believes the energy sector may not have been given a clean bill of health if he had not taken some of the decisions he took during the period.
“I am happy with what we left behind, he said, adding, that the nation faced significant setbacks with the dumsor.
Mr Terkper stated no economy could withstand the experience Ghana went through in the hands of its West African neighbour.
Also in 2016, the Finance Ministry allocated more of the of oil money to Capacity Building (¢83 million), whereas Agriculture which is the backbone of the economy was allocated ¢27.6 million.
Mr Terkper explained his decision should not be misconstrued because it was guided by the Petroleum Revenue Management Act, one of the strictest laws which regulated the two sectors he allocated the monies to.
“The Budget allocation is approved by Parliament and we should be careful in just taking Capacity Building as a headline as it could have benefitted the Agric Sector,” he said.
Latest Stories
-
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
3 minutes -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
6 minutes -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
11 minutes -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
26 minutes -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
33 minutes -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
36 minutes -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
43 minutes -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
1 hour -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
1 hour -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
2 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
2 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
2 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
2 hours -
“I stepped back from politics for my husband to continue the journey” – Sammi Awuku’s wife
2 hours -
Ghana will receive final IMF cash of US$318 million immediately after July board approval – Mission Chief
2 hours