Audio By Carbonatix
The Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Dr. Dominic Ayine has justified has defended his decision to drop several high-profile cases.
At a press conference, Dr, Ayine cited legal and ethical concerns, stressing that his good conscience could not allow him to continue some of the cases.
“For ethical and professional conscience, I couldn’t in good conscience continue to prosecute some of the cases.
“The second was that some of the cases, in my own review and analysis, showed clearly that the charges were defective and some were far against the promptness of commonsense,” he stated.
The Minister added that some of the cases lacked sufficient evidence to warrant continued prosecution.
“The third was that in some of the cases, the evidence led so far showed that there was a reasonable doubt, as to the guilt of the accused persons and no prosecutor should continue to pursue a case in the face of overwhelming guilt regarding the accused persons.
“In most of the cases, I had terminated proceedings, the conduct of some of the individual judges left so much to be desired,” he explained.
Dr. Ayine emphasized that all the accused persons in the discontinued cases had been acquitted and discharged.
Meanwhile, he stressed that his decision was not influenced by external pressure but was in line with constitutional and legal requirements.
The clarification follows criticisms against Dr. Ayine discontinuing the prosecution of cases including the ambulance purchase trial, Ofosu Ampofo’s alleged leaked tape, the Bank of Ghana’s new governor, Dr. Johnson Asiamah’s alleged role in the collapse of Unibank and UT Bank, and the Saglemi Housing case.
Latest Stories
-
Moody’s upgrades EBID rating to B1, citing stronger finances and shareholder support
3 minutes -
GoldBod cannot make losses trading gold – Afenyo-Markin
11 minutes -
Papaye, KFC and Pizzaman customers among most targeted as TrustGH uncovers nearly 1,000 scam numbers cloning Google business profiles of major food chains
21 minutes -
2026 U20 WWC: ‘We are in a tough group’ – Black Princesses’ Linda Owusu Ansah
28 minutes -
2026 U20 WWC: Ghana’s Ambassador to Czech Republic welcomes Black Princesses to Poland
54 minutes -
Oti NPP executives demand completion of stalled government projects
1 hour -
Jinapor demands answers as Alima Mahama is asked to pay for Embassy spending outside her tenure
1 hour -
Russia doubles scholarships for Ghanaian students to 240 annually
1 hour -
Cedi’s year-to-date loss slumps to 4.09% as recent gains gather pace
2 hours -
‘Home has spoken’ – Justin Kodua Frimpong says as Ashanti delegates back his re-election bid
2 hours -
Mustapha Abdul-Hamid, seven others’ NPA case adjourned to August 27
2 hours -
Alima Mahama Refund: Jinapor challenges Ablakwa’s authority, says only Auditor-General can surcharge
2 hours -
Wontumi Conviction: 2 star witnesses placed under police protection amid death threats
2 hours -
Srem-Sai reveals surge in death threats after Wontumi conviction
2 hours -
GCB, Ecobank, 4 others are top tier banks in Ghana – PwC Banking Survey
2 hours