Singer Elis Koina has revealed that she lost a recording deal during the early stages of motherhood.
The songwriter opened up to Andy Dosty in an interview on Daybreak Hitz on Hitz FM, Tuesday.
“Sometime back, someone tried to record me so we could look for sponsorship. My aunt couldn’t help me with my child so I had to carry him [my child] along. I was breastfeeding him as well,” she recalled.
The singer added that her child wanted to always be with her, and that became a challenge, especially during record sessions.
“Anywhere I went, he wanted to be there,” said the ‘Vybing’ singer. “I was in the booth trying to record and he would be crying and stuff. That day, I managed to record but that person canceled the deal,” she added.
Irrespective of losing a deal that could have led to her breakthrough, the singer never gave up on singing because her child “is part of the reasons she is still pursuing music.”
Elis Koina is a singer, songwriter, voice-over artiste, and backing vocalist.
She performed the backing vocals for rapper and singer Edem’s ‘Over Again’, among other tracks.
She has done backings for artistes like Prince Bright of BukBak fame, Stay Jay, Scata, and the late Ebony Reigns, among others.
On the voice-over front, she is the voice behind Bullet’s Rufftown Records signature —although it is widely presumed to be the voice of late singer Ebony Reigns.
When asked whether she gets rewarded for her work in that field, Elis Koina said: “I sometimes get paid, other times, I get cheated.”
- Scores of residents displaced, others trapped as Weija, Oblogo and Tetegu flood
- Mankessim murder: We didn’t commit crime with mason; he only dug hole for burying a victim – Chief
- Watch Daddy Lumba break down his hit song ‘Yene Wo Sere Kwa’
- NSMQ 2022 launched; fixtures for preliminary stage released
- Exclusive photos: Hundreds rendered homeless at Ashalaja
- ‘I have unfinished business with Black Stars’ – Milovan Rajevac
- I am still receiving threats from people on social media – KiDi
- Kwesi Yankah: Dear Ace Ankomah, the Birim River is gone
- The viral lynching that was to end Nigeria’s mob justice
- Pay compensation to affected customers – PURC orders ECG
- While others mocked me, Seidu Agongo offered to help – Kofi Amoabeng
- Ghana Hotels Association to break away from Ghana Tourism Federation￼
- President’s son loses army post after Twitter spree
- Nigeria ad regulator sues WhatsApp owner for $70m
- Niche Cocoa expands operations into USA
- Ghana’s cocoa not banned – EU Ambassador
- Somalia drought: So weak from hunger she couldn’t bury her child
- Journalists urged to build regional cooperation in the fight against human trafficking
- Galamsey fight: Akufo-Addo won’t declare a state of emergency – Dr. Norman
- No firm without license will operate cybersecurity service from 2023 – Bawumia
- Our leaders are either complicit or incompetent – Ken Ashigbey on galamsey
- Agenda 111 is making up for a 60year gap in access to healthcare facilities across Ghana – Bawumia
- I’m not expecting much from Hearts of Oak in Africa because of inconsistency – Amankwa Mireku
- A state of emergency is long overdue – Kofi Bentil on galamsey
- Elon Musk Twitter deal back on in surprise U-turn