Audio By Carbonatix
Iran plans to return to the 2015 international nuclear deal under which it swore off the pursuit of nuclear weapons in exchange for eased sanctions - which it began to ignore after the US pulled out, the Iranian President said on Monday.
"[US President Donald] Trump and a few people holding grudges in Iran want to wipe the deal away ... but we have not allowed that and we will continue not to allow that," said Hassan Rowhani during a press conference.
Adhering to the terms of the deal could mean an end to sanctions and the country's economic crisis, he said, which means it is in the national interest.
"We shouldn't let unnecessary side topics like domestic quarrels lead us to lose sight of this main prize," said Rowhani.
Rowhani was referring to a law pushed through the legislature earlier this month by hardliners that would allow the government to ramp up uranium enrichment processes and block or even throw out international nuclear inspectors. The law contradicts multiple parts of the 2015 deal.
He noted that allowing the new law to take effect would not only poison relations with the International Atomic Energy Agency, but would make it harder to re-enter negotiations with the US once new president Joe Biden takes office next month.
"The new law in parliament was not smart," Rowhani said, noting that Iran needs solutions, not new problems.
Rowhani said he was convinced Iran could work out its differences with the US under Biden.
"As soon as the US returns to the deal, then we will do the same. ... It would be easy to do and could be done quickly."
The deal was signed by the last US administration, in which Biden was vice president.
Latest Stories
-
Galamsey fight has failed; water quality shows we’re retrogressing – Senyo Hosi
2 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: ‘Wey Gey Hey’ shrugs off SIMMS SHS, Nkwatia Presby to secure one-eighth spot
18 minutes -
Sammy Gyamfi accepts Vanderpuye’s apology, urges NDC unity
19 minutes -
Man assaults over 90-year-old aunt over witchcraft allegations in Navrongo
19 minutes -
Toobu says Big Push road works on N12 will curb robberies
21 minutes -
Galamsey has become a livelihood, an endemic problem – Senyo Hosi
30 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Wesley Grammar escapes Kofi Agyei’s grasp in nail-biting battle to book one-eighth spot
36 minutes -
Sky Train case: Solomon Asamoah challenges no-case ruling at Supreme Court
42 minutes -
Power outages are fixable; leadership must prioritise solutions – Kofi Bentil
47 minutes -
I dare Afenyo-Markin to face me – Sammy Gyamfi points to ‘underlying issues’ in GoldBod claims
49 minutes -
Health walk finds pockets of dirty air on some Accra streets
1 hour -
Ghana must rethink spending priorities amid recurring blackouts – Kofi Bentil
1 hour -
GoldBod is the best we’ve done with our gold resources yet – Kofi Bentil
2 hours -
‘I never insulted Afenyo-Markin, he got the response he deserved’ – Sammy Gyamfi
2 hours -
We’ve moved gold purchases to Interbank rate – GoldBod CEO
2 hours