Stacey Abrams, a politician who is being credited with a large Democratic turnout in the traditionally Republican state Georgia, has been speaking on CNN about Joe Biden and Kamala Harris’s win.
“It is a privilege in this nation to be able to see yourself reflected in the face of leadership,” she said.
“For African-Americans and Indian-Americans, Kamala Harris signals that the face of leadership does change. We do have a role to play beyond being supporters – it shows that we can be the leaders in this country.”
Abrams ran to be Georgia governor in 2018. After a narrow loss (she never officially conceded) she pledged to mobilise voters in a state where accusations have long been made about the disenfranchisement of black voters. Since then, hundreds of thousands more African-Americans have registered to vote.
“We’ve been working on this for more than a decade,” Abrams said.
Georgia is yet to be projected and will go to a recount. The latest count shows Biden is ahead by 10,196 votes. Democrats haven’t won the state since 1992.
Two Senate races in Georgia will go to a run-off election in January, giving Democrats hope of still flipping the Senate from Republican control.
- Patients in danger as nurses head for NHS in UK – medics
- NDC punches holes into Supreme Court’s full judgement on Gyakye Quayson
- We won’t withhold our approval of Chief Justice nominee – Minority backs Gertrude Torkornoo
- Assin North By-election: Who has the edge – An analysis
- Our decision on Justice Torkonoo will be known after we peruse full judgement on Gyakye Quayson – Agbodza
- Disregard reported increase in HIV cases in Ho – Ghana Health Service
- Domelevo sings: Read English translation of his cryptic song
- Kumawu roads construction: Residents unhappy with pace and quality of work
- Our June 30th ultimatum still remains – IPPs remind government
- Today’s front pages: Tuesday, June 6, 2023
- Nogokpo vs Agyinasare: National Peace Council calls for calm
- ‘Ducking hell’ to disappear from Apple autocorrect
- ‘Chemical mango’ video is fake – Federation of Associations of Ghanaian Exporters clears air
- Jason Derulo’s ‘most unsexy’ business investment in a car wash
- Presidential staffer declares support for Alan Kyerematen
- Gospel singer Rita Adomolga earns nominations in Ghana Music Awards USA
- Major Mahama’s Trial: ”l was at the wrong place at the wrong time” – Accused
- Agric Ministry confirms one case of Anthrax in Upper East region
- Saglemi Housing trial: Court orders former Chief Director to appear for plea to be taken
- UK-based Ghanaian youngster Tyrell Agyemang joins Middlesbrough from Manchester City
- Work as a technocrat, don’t meddle in local politics – John Jinapor tells World Bank Country rep
- Sudan conflict: Army accused of killing Congolese in campus bombing
- JAE5 teams up with Lojay, Libianca for ‘I Wish’
- Denmark has not abandoned Ghana – Ambassador
- Midwife delivers baby in speeding commercial vehicle