Audio By Carbonatix
The Lands Minister, Samuel Abu Jinapor, says government's fight against illegal small scale mining cannot be completed in President Akufo-Addo's second term in office.
According to the minister, it requires more than a decade's effort for Ghana to be free of 'galamsey'.
"We are not out of the woods yet. We have not gotten to a satisfactory stage yet. We have not gotten to a situation we can say that we have a full grip on the issue of illegal small scale mining in our country.
"I'll be the first to admit that it wouldn't take 4,5, 8 or 10 years to rid our country of illegal scale mining completely," he said on GBC Breakfast Show on Tuesday.
Despite the challenges, Mr Jinapor noted that the government has chalked some success in the fight against illegal small scale mining in the country.
The Damongo MP indicated the government has been able to put up the necessary reforms in the regulatory regime and enforce its mechanisms to address the canker.
"We will also have to admit that we have made considerable gains and we have gotten to a point where we can reasonably be encouraged that a better framework and the building blocks have been put in place to deal with this menace.
"I'm talking about matters to do with how you acquire licenses, whether you do that online, the whole issue of community mining, inspectorate division of the Minerals Commission, issues to do with exploration for mineralized concessions.
The enforcement mechanism is where you find matters that have to do with Operation Halt, and efforts made by the Regional and District Security Councils. Though we have not arrived at the point we seek to reach, we have so far made substantial progress.”
He assured that government will not be complacent to lose the successes chalked for about 5 years.
"We are going to be totally committed, all the measures we have introduced are going to be enhanced this year.”
According to the Lands Minister, ‘galamsey’ is one of the most crucial issues in the country.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
4 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
4 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
4 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
4 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
4 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
4 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
4 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
4 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
5 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
5 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
5 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
5 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
6 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
6 hours