South Africa’s former president Jacob Zuma has appeared on a video link from prison to attend a corruption trial.
Mr Zuma faces charges of fraud and racketeering dating back to the 1990s.
This is the first time he has been seen since he was sent to jail for contempt of court – a move that sparked a week of looting and arson in South Africa.
He sat quietly in a large office chair in a nondescript prison room.
He wore a dark suit and red tie, and said little as his lawyer argued for another postponement of his corruption trial.
The hearing took place online – due to the pandemic and security concerns.
Mr Zuma has now spent more than a week in prison after he was found guilty of contempt of court, for refusing to participate in a separate corruption inquiry.
The decision to sentence Mr Zuma to 15 months in jail sparked protests which quickly turned violent – leading to more than 200 deaths, and widespread looting and arson.
- MTN FA Cup wrap: AshGold breeze into semis, Hearts survive late scare
- Ghana surpasses 100K Covid-19 infections as third-wave gathers momentum
- Akufo-Addo to address the nation as Covid-19 cases hit 100k
- Suspected highway robber gunned down in cross-fire with Police
- Anti-LGBT Bill: Let us create gay prisons as well – Researcher fumes
- He was a father for all – John Mahama eulogises Prof Atta Mills at 9th wreath laying ceremony
- Third Navarrete fight a possibility-Isaac Dogboe
- Olympic football: South Africa lose 7 – goal thriller to France, Ivory Coast hold Brazil, Egypt lose to Argentina
- I am honoured and humbled by deputy Communications Director appointment – Jefferson Sackey
- Playback: The Law discusses anti-LGBT bill and threats of stifling free speech
It appears Ghana is experiencing a third wave of Covid-19 – Akufo-Addo
Government commits $25million to establish National Vaccine Institute for local manufacture – Akufo-Addo
Covid-19: Akufo-Addo updates guidelines for funerals and weddings amid fears of third wave
Full Text: Akufo-Addo’s 26th address on measures to deal with Covid-19 pandemic
Playback: The Probe discusses Covid-19 third wave
Ghana to receive over 18million Covid-19 vaccines in third quarter of the year – Akufo-Addo
Playback: Akufo-Addo’s 26th address to the nation as Covid-19 cases hit 100k
Pope John Old Boys Association holds career clinic for students
I can’t fault the Speaker for encouraging anti-LGBTQ bill – Researcher at University of Johannesburg
MTN FA Cup: Kotoko knocked out, Medeama secure ticket to Africa after progressing to semis
Photos: 9th wreath-laying ceremony for late John Evans Atta-Mills
Murdered momo vendor buried as family calls for investigations
I am honoured and humbled by deputy Communications Director appointment – Jefferson Sackey
Anti-LGBT Bill: All justification in support are not grounded in science – Researcher
Anti-LGBT Bill: Let us create gay prisons as well – Researcher fumes