Audio By Carbonatix
Japan will host the Club World Cup for the next two years, world football's governing body Fifa announced on Thursday.
After last staging the event in 2012, Japan will play host again in 2015 and 2016, with this year's competition confirmed for December 10-20.
Fifa secretary-general Jerome Valcke said on the Fifa website: “This is a country with a proven track record when it comes to staging Fifa events, including six editions of the Fifa Club World Cup, which were all successful.
"We know it will be a superb setting once again for this annual competition with good-sized crowds and a wonderful atmosphere."
Japan Football Association (JFA) president Kuniya Daini said: “It is a valuable opportunity for both players and fans to witness the world trends in club football.
"Not only does this competition bring exciting and entertaining football, it also gives us an insight into each participating country’s club culture and the respective domestic leagues."
The JFA will announce the host cities for the 10-day tournament shortly.
The Club World Cup features the champions of all six confederations affiliated to Fifa: Africa, Asia, CONCACAF, Europe, Oceania and South America, as well as Japan’s league champions.
The competition was first held in 2000 in Brazil and has been an annual event since 2005, with Japan hosting the event from 2005 to 2008 and again in 2011 and 2012.
European champions Real Madrid are the current holders after winning their first title in Morocco last year, beating San Lorenzo of Argentina 2-0 in the final.
Latest Stories
-
UBIDS secures $6.6m prefabricated classroom complex to end space deficit
3 hours -
Gold Fields Ghana Foundation deepens childhood cancer awareness drive; invests $4.8m in community health
3 hours -
Iran students stage first large anti-government protests since deadly crackdown
3 hours -
Fire guts Saboba Hospital’s Children Ward
5 hours -
Interior Ministry extends aptitude test dates for WASSCE applicants in 2025/26 security services recruitment
5 hours -
National Investment Bank donates GH₵1m to support GAF barracks redevelopment project
6 hours -
Gomoa-East demolition: 14 suspects remanded by Kasoa Ofaakor Court
7 hours -
Divers recover bodies of seven Chinese tourists from bottom of Lake Baikal
8 hours -
From windstorm to resilience: How Wa school is growing climate protection
8 hours -
Reclaiming the Garden City: Dr. Kwame Adinkrah urges Kumasi to rein in billboard proliferation
9 hours -
Bursar of Ghanata SHS arrested for alleged diversion of student food supplies
9 hours -
Trump says he will increase global tariffs to 15%
9 hours -
Bogoso-Prestea mine records first gold pour after 24-month shutdown
9 hours -
Ghana–ECOWAS talks end with renewed push for women and youth political inclusion
10 hours -
Interior Minister receives Hudai Foundation food donation for prison inmates during Ramadan
10 hours
