England manager Roy Hodgson says he is “disappointed” to learn of John Terry’s international retirement but “reluctantly” accepts his decision.
Centre-half Terry played in all four of England’s matches at Euro 2012 and featured in the World Cup qualifying win over Moldova this month.
But he claims his place in the England team is now “untenable” following the Football Association’s decision to “pursue charges” against him despite being cleared in court of racially abusing Anton Ferdinand.
“I am of course disappointed to lose a player of John’s international experience and exceptional ability,” said Hodgson.
“I have enjoyed a good relationship with John during my time as England manager and I reluctantly accept his decision.
“He had the courtesy to call me prior to announcing his retirement.”
In a statement, the FA added: “Following his announcement that he is retiring from the England team, the FA would like to thank John Terry for all of his efforts with the national team over the past decade. During his 78 appearances, John has always given his full commitment to the team.”
Terry retired from international football on Sunday, on the eve of a FA hearing into allegations that he used “abusive and/or insulting words and/or behaviour” towards QPR defender Ferdinand in a Premier League game 11 months ago.
The 31-year-old Chelsea centre-half had already been cleared at a high-profile court case at Westminster Magistrates’ Court, but the FA decided to hold its own inquiry.
Terry’s last appearance for England came on 7 September, when he played in a 5-0 World Cup qualifier victory over Moldova.
He had already been stripped of the England team captaincy as a result of the charges but played in every England game at the European Championships in Poland and Ukraine.
Hodgson also asserted as recently as a month ago that he intended to include Terry in future England squads.
- Nana Agradaa re-arrested after being granted bail
- Election 2020: It is absolutely preposterous to think NDC didn’t collate its results – Afriyie Ankrah
- Headmaster found hanging dead from a tree behind his house in Techiman
- SSNIT OBS scandal: State sues Ernest Thompson, 4 others again
- 5 Ghanaians arrested in Dubai for smuggling weed; one jailed for 10 years
- Joe Ghartey files appeal against Sekondi High Court’s ruling
- Suspend prospecting activities in all forest reserves – Lands Minister directs
- Rastafarian case: Achimota School fails to respond to suit, case adjourned to April 30
- There’s no scientific evidence that Free SHS led to success in WASSCE – Peter Anti
- Rastafarian Saga: Achimota, all schools under GES cannot be sued – Attorney-General
CDD Ghana conducts School Performance Appraisal Meetings in Kadjebi improve quality of teaching and learning
Nyantakyi never interfered in player call-ups; leave Akonnor alone – George Afriyie tells Kurt Okraku
3 brothers, 3 Olympic berths and 9 medals – Story of the Samir family
National Best Farmer calls for introduction of agricultural ambassadors
‘We’ll invoke Alien Compliance Order to free our nation from aliens’ – Angry judge cautions Fulani man
Nana Adwoa Baafi: Navigating obstacles around progressive portrayal of women in arts
Sad state of Ghana’s only Abedi Pele monument
Over 600 persons to undergo eye surgery at Keta Municipality
Margins Group CEO shares top 10 principles
India hospital fire kills 13 amid Covid oxygen crisis
Algerian scholar gets 3 years in jail for ‘offending Islam’
Chad set for Idriss Deby’s funeral as leaders arrive
65-year-old woman escapes death as house is set ablaze over ‘witchcraft’ accusations
Election 2020: NDC pink sheets digitised
Ghana-Burkina Railway Interconnectivity project to begin 2022; 3 bidders shortlisted