Audio By Carbonatix
A US judge has once again blocked President Donald Trump from implementing an executive order ending birthright citizenship for some US residents as a legal challenge moves forward.
A New Hampshire judge approved a class action lawsuit against Trump's executive order and temporarily stopped the president's order from taking effect.
The class action lawsuit was brought by the American Civil Liberties Union on behalf of immigrant parents and their infants.
The decision comes weeks after the Supreme Court introduced limits on how and when universal injunctions are issued by federal courts. However, the decision still allows them through certain legal avenues.
The class action suit was introduced after the Supreme Court decision, in keeping with the new standards set by the court.
Still, the White House challenged the validity of the judge's ruling.
"Today's decision is an obvious and unlawful attempt to circumvent the Supreme Court's clear order against universal relief. This judge's decision disregards the rule of law by abusing class action certification procedures," spokesman Harrison Fields said in a statement Thursday. "The Trump Administration will be fighting vigorously against the attempts of these rogue district court judges to impede the policies President Trump was elected to implement."
The US Constitution guarantees citizenship to all born on US soil, but Trump has sought to revoke that right for babies born to undocumented immigrants and foreign visitors, as part of his crackdown on immigration.
The class-action lawsuit seeks to challenge the order as harmful and unconstitutional, and the judge ruled that it can proceed on behalf of the babies who would be affected by the restrictions.
The ruling also once again pauses an order that was a priority for Trump. The judge has given the government seven days to appeal.
Restricting birthright citizenship was one of his first actions in office.
Multiple courts across the US issued nationwide injunctions as they considered legal challenges to the order.
The Trump administration appealed those temporary holds to the highest US court, arguing judges did not have the authority to block a presidential order nationally while the courts considered the cases.
The Supreme Court's conservative majority sided with Trump in a 6-3 ruling that broadly curtailed judicial power, though the justices did not address the constitutionality of Trump's birthright citizenship order.
Following the Supreme Court's decision, Trump's order had been set to take effect on 27 July.
Latest Stories
-
Health authorities warn public against increasing hypertension-related deaths in the Ashanti Region
5 minutes -
5th West Africa Pharma and Healthcare Expo 2026 slated for June 8
6 minutes -
UK banking expert says banks are too profitable; proposes ‘bank tax’, others
10 minutes -
Students of Mantukwa basic forced to study under trees for over a year after rainstorm destroyed classroom block
15 minutes -
“If you insult government, we will take it on board” – Tanko-Computer warns
28 minutes -
Create open African market to accelerate connectivity – Telecel Business Director
1 hour -
Gold Fields Lease Renewal: Why the IEA’s case for resource nationalism fails the reality rest
1 hour -
Ghana Sports Fund unveils ambitious plan to transform sports development nationwide
1 hour -
Ghana Sports Fund to porioritise grassroots sports, talent identification and infrastructure development
1 hour -
Ghana Sports Fund engages stakeholders on revenue mobilisation, transparency and sustainable sports financing
1 hour -
Albert Bondah named Media & PR Manager for 2026 Ghana Comedy Awards
1 hour -
NPP questions Circuit Court 9 ruling in Abronye DC case
1 hour -
Artificial Intelligence researcher urges responsible AI use at high-level United Nations Forum
2 hours -
Augustine Boakye to miss Black Stars friendly against Mexico
2 hours -
Zoomlion Kenya begins major transformation of Nairobi waste management system
2 hours