Audio By Carbonatix
A judge has been sacked for using a pseudonym to post abusive comments on a newspaper website about cases he was involved in.
Recorder Jason Dunn-Shaw, of Maidstone Chambers in Kent, is understood to have called one man a "donkey" and others "narrow-minded and bigoted".
He also accused others of commenting "without thinking things through".
Mr Dunn-Shaw told KentOnline - the site where the comments were posted - he was "dismayed" he had been sacked.
Dunn-Shaw was commenting on news stories relating to a case for which he was sitting as a judge at Canterbury Crown Court, and another for which he was a barrister.
The Judicial Conduct Investigations Office (JCIO) said his behaviour was "below standard".
The judge told the BBC he would be appealing to the Ombudsman "to complain about the procedure, which to my mind was flawed and unfair".
In quotes to KentOnline, he said the JCOI accepted his comments were made under a pseudonym.
'Lack of impartiality'
He added: "Their other condemnation is of comments I made on the pages of Facebook friends which I believed to have been private.
"It seems to me unfair that the tracking of anonymous material places me where I am now."
Mr Dunn-Shaw - who has experience in both prosecution and defence - has worked on more than 45 murder trials during his career, as well as death by dangerous driving, drugs smuggling, sexual offences and fraud.
A spokesman for the JCIO said: "In his own name he used publicly available social media sites to post material or not remove material which was not compatible with the dignity of judicial office or suggested a lack of impartiality on matters of public controversy.
"The Lord Chancellor and the Lord Chief Justice concluded that this behaviour fell below the standard expected of a judicial office holder and have removed Mr Dunn-Shaw from judicial office."
Latest Stories
-
Mahama touts Ghana’s free primary healthcare programme at World Health Assembly
7 minutes -
Africa must take control of its health future — Mahama
9 minutes -
Ghana on alert following Ebola outbreak in Uganda and DR Congo – Ministry of Health
18 minutes -
Mahama urges reforms to global health architecture at 79th World Health Assembly
18 minutes -
They were losing 4-0 as hosts. They won the whole tournament
27 minutes -
Health Ministry cautions public against spreading misinformation over Ebola outbreak in DR Congo
31 minutes -
Security agencies engage Akyeode community to maintain calm after Nkwanta incident
36 minutes -
Today’s front pages: Monday, May 18, 2026
43 minutes -
Police intercept ammunition in Nkwanta, arrest two suspects
50 minutes -
Afoko’s former headteacher vouches for his integrity; rallies support for his NPP Chairman bid
1 hour -
Mahama to address 79th World Health Assembly on health sovereignty for Global South
1 hour -
Where’s My Johnny…Reflecting on one year without you, John-Carpus
2 hours -
Mining, ownership and development: The questions we must honestly ask ourselves
2 hours -
Franklin Cudjoe urges discipline in implementation of IMF PCI programme
3 hours -
Northern Region NPP office project: Afoko donates 400 bags of cement and GH¢30,000
3 hours