Real Madrid and France striker Karim Benzema has been arrested by police investigating an alleged plot to blackmail fellow international Mathieu Valbuena over a sex tape.
Former France international Djibril Cisse was recently taken into custody and questioned by French police over the alleged blackmail plot.
Cisse was released by police on October 13 following a raid on his house at 6am in Paris.
Now French media agency AFP reports Benzema has also been taken into custody over the allegations.
The matter relates to a judicial investigation opened in July over claims that Valbuena, who now plays for Lyon, was the subject of an extortion attempt.
In October a prosecutor said of Cisse’s arrest: “Djibril Cisse was taken into custody… in connection with a judicial investigation opened in the district court of Versailles on July 31 2015.”
The statement said it was “an offence punishable by at least five years in prison.”
Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySports
- I’ll walk naked to Parliament to protest the anti-LGBTQ bill if it’s approved – Mother of transgender singer affirms
- Anti-LGBTQ Bill won’t meet constitutional test going forward – Dr Poku Adusei
- Anti-LGBTQ Bill: We are making it a crime for anybody to attack any known gay person- Dafeamekpor
- Homeland Study Group Leader, Papavi reported dead
- Embassies’ denial of visas over Anti-LGBTQ bill amounts to imperialism – Economist
- Samson’s Take: Stop hurting with your bad attitude at work
- Anti LGBTQI+ Bill: Does the NDC have one face at home and another face abroad? – Prof. Emerita Manuh asks
- Playback: Newsfile discusses Anti-LGBTQ Bill and 7% hike in fuel prices
- Nothing will change about fuel prices – CEO of Bulk Oil Distributors
- Killer lamps removed from 1,418 vehicles in one week – NRSA
ECOWAS deploys 55 observers to Presidential election in Cabo Verde
Ghana’s Sustainable Financing framework published on Finance Ministry’s website
Livestream: Church service with Pastor Mensa Otabil
Human Rights advocate urges Ghanaians to be circumspect with discussions on LGBTQI+ bill
Proscribed lamps removed from 1418 vehicles in one week – NRSA
TECNO Brings Ultra-steady and Ultra-clear Gimbal Camera Phone CAMON 18 Premier
“You’ve all been cowed” – Mahama criticises media for not probing corruption allegations against government
Two-month tax waiver on fuel products “unconstitutional and populist” move – Dafeamekpor
Anti-LGBTQ Bill: We are making it a crime for anybody to attack any known gay person- Dafeamekpor
Reality zone with Vicky Wereko: No quarantine, doors open – UK says you may come, but……
Nurses, midwives and relatives saw my son as a girl – Mother of transgender recounts
LPG prices likely to go up by end of year due to government taxes – Petroleum Economist
Government urged to adopt policies to promote and cultivate indigenous foods
Ibrahim Ben-Bako’s high-tone habitude placed him center of attention at the Kab-Fam Ghana Music Awards UK 21
Nothing will change about fuel prices – CEO of Bulk Oil Distributors