Audio By Carbonatix
Member of Parliament for Assin Central, Kennedy Agyapong, has rendered an apology to parliament for describing it as cheap.
He told the privileges committee if the House feels slighted by his comments made on his television station, NET2 TV, he apologises for making them.
“I am not a tin god, no! but I was furious at Muntaka because he also did not cross-check his facts and put everything together...he attacked me on radio saying all sorts of things. Today that the evidence has come out what are we all sitting here going to say?" he quizzed.
He explained that he was infuriated by the negative things people were saying about him after his criticism of Anas Aremeyaw Anas’ number 12 documentary.
Related: Kennedy Agyapong's 'useless parliament' contempt hearing set for July 3
“But I don’t mind retracting that word,” he told the Committee.
Mr Agyapong was hauled before the Privileges Committee of Parliament for suggesting Parliament is "cheap" and "useless" for making Osei Kyei Mensah Bonsu a Majority leader.
While he admitted using the word cheap, he vehemently denied saying Parliament was useless, accusing Minority Chief Whip Muntaka Mubarak of fabricating stories about him and relying on discredited and social media comments.
Background

Muntaka Mubarak
Mr Mubarak moved a motion on the floor earlier this month for Kennedy Agyapong to be dragged before the Privileges Committee for insulting Parliament.
He accused Kennedy Agyapong of calling Parliament useless for electing Osei Kyei Mensah Bonsu as a leader.
But the NPP MP said he only took on the Majority Leader and has since apologized to him personally.
‘I was referring to NPP Chairman in the Ashanti region so where did I insult parliament? Then, I responded to my leader [in parliament] which I have apologised,’ he told Joy News’ parliamentary correspondent.
Mr Mensah Bonsu says he has accepted Kennedy Agyapong's apology.
Related: Don't threaten 'Zongo boy' with a showdown – Muntaka dares Kennedy Agyapong
When he faced the Privileges Committee to answer to his comments Monday, Mr. Agyepong and his lawyer contested the source of the evidence the complainant had brought before the committee.

Chairman of the Privileges Committee, Joseph Osei Owusu
The Assin Central MP was firm in his conviction the evidence presented by Asawase MP Mohammed Mubarak Muntaka was inaccurate and best a fabrication.
According to him, the copy of the evidence given him was not from Net2 where he made the comment but rather from another media house.
He, therefore, challenged that Mr Mubarak should have brought forward an original copy of his comments and not evidence pieced together.
“You see the information given me is edited and does not have his facts right…I don’t know why I am here because this is not what I said,” Mr Agyapong said.
Earlier Lawyer for Mr. Agyepong, Afenyo Markins challenged the decision to allow for the processes to continue insisting Muntaka's motion for contempt which was approved by the house was wrong.
He said the Awasase MP used the wrong standing order, but that was overruled by Chairman Joseph Osei Owusu.
The Committee is yet to communicate its decision on whether to accept Mr Agyapong's apology. He had early demanded a written apology, something Agyepong was reluctant in providing.
Latest Stories
-
COKA visits Kokofu after Ashanti NPP win, calls for unity ahead of 2028
2 minutes -
Bono East crowns Kintampo SHS, Gyarko Community Day SHS for national public speaking finals
21 minutes -
GRIDCo completes initial repair works on Ashaiman transmission line
30 minutes -
Egyapa Mercer donates hairdryers to graduating hairdressers in Sekondi
36 minutes -
Health Ministry hands 30 ambulances to National Security for refurbishment
40 minutes -
Republic Bank deepens commitment to homeownership with nationwide JoyNews Habitat Fair partnership
46 minutes -
Archbishop Duncan-Williams links galamsey to Ghana’s wider culture of indiscipline
48 minutes -
India’s clean energy leadership in green hydrogen
57 minutes -
Ghana’s Road Safety Crisis: We must move from reaction to prevention
60 minutes -
Duncan-Williams urges Church to educate Ghanaians on dangers of galamsey and gold smuggling
1 hour -
New Defence Minister pledges technology-led defence posture
1 hour -
India and Africa: Relations beyond rhetorics
1 hour -
Top Zambian opposition figures arrested days after presidential vote
1 hour -
‘I’m not against enforcing the law’ – Archbishop Duncan-Williams defends call for prayer against galamsey, gold smuggling
1 hour -
Tantalus or Triumph? Ghana and the Harvest of Economic Recovery
2 hours