Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana Football Association has ruled out appointing Stephen Keshi as national team coach after he expressed his desire to take the job.
Keshi was sacked as coach of Nigeria earlier this month, having stayed on in the role on a non-contract basis since the World Cup.
The 52-year-old went on record to say he would relish the prospect of replacing Kwesi Appiah, whose Ghana tenure ended by mutual consent last month.
GFA vice-president Fred Crentsil has reacted by stating that three candidates have already been interviewed for the vacancy and Keshi is not in the running.
"Unfortunately, we are not considering any other names and so Stephen Keshi - who we respect a lot - will not be able to make it," Crentsil told supersport.com.
"We opened a window for applications and it's been closed for some time now. We've even shortlisted and interviewed three coaches and we are in the last stages of sending a report to the FA Executive Committee."
Swiss coach Michel Pont, Spaniard Juan Ignacio Martinez and former Chelsea manager Avram Grant are reportedly the three men in contention for the Ghana role
Keshi had told Happy FM in Ghana: "I would love to coach Ghana. Having the opportunity will be great.
"I have not spoken officially to anyone but I will love to lead this team.
"Of course if I get the chance to coach the team, the target will be the Africa Cup of Nations. The country has not won the title in a long time and I know Ghanaians are desirous of winning the cup.
"But like I said, we have to look at getting the job first. I want to coach the team if the opportunity is there."
Latest Stories
-
Jinapor demands answers as Alima Mahama is asked to pay for Embassy spending outside her tenure
7 minutes -
Russia doubles scholarships for Ghanaian students to 240 annually
8 minutes -
Cedi’s year-to-date loss slumps to 4.09% as recent gains gather pace
26 minutes -
‘Home has spoken’ – Justin Kodua Frimpong says as Ashanti delegates back his re-election bid
30 minutes -
Mustapha Abdul-Hamid, seven others’ NPA case adjourned to August 27
39 minutes -
Alima Mahama Refund: Jinapor challenges Ablakwa’s authority, says only Auditor-General can surcharge
39 minutes -
Wontumi Conviction: 2 star witnesses placed under police protection amid death threats
54 minutes -
Srem-Sai reveals surge in death threats after Wontumi conviction
1 hour -
GCB, Ecobank, 4 others are top tier banks in Ghana – PwC Banking Survey
1 hour -
Today’s front pages: Tuesday, August 18, 2026
2 hours -
Banks’ sustainable success will be defined less by interest margins – PwC
3 hours -
CJ Baffor-Bonnie was part of ‘grand conspiracy to remove Torkornoo – Afenyo-Markin alleges
3 hours -
The GIPA Act: Resetting Ghana’s investment framework
4 hours -
GIPA secures investor leads at Invest Fest 2026
4 hours -
Ghana’s missing billions: What 16 years of Auditor-General reports show
4 hours