Audio By Carbonatix
The Minister of Health, Dr. Benjamin Kunbuor yesterday reacted to the ongoing controversy surrounding H1N1 vaccines saying there is no critical evidence to show people really died from it.
There have been reports that a number of people have died after getting vaccinated but the Health Minister indicated that such reports have not been proven.
Answering questions on the floor of Parliament, the Minister said 390 minor and expected adverse effects had been reported and effectively managed assuring his outfit would make informed decisions based on the seriousness and or unusual nature of such effects in consultation with the World Health Organization.
The Member of Parliament for Manhyia, Dr. Matthew Opoku-Prempeh wanted to know from the minister how his department is dealing with the emerging global problem associated with H1N1 vaccinations in Ghana.
According to the Minister, emergency drugs for Adverse Events Following Immunization (AEFI) are available at each health facility and all reported cases requiring medical attention are being managed free of charge by health workers at all levels.
“AEFI’s monitoring through a system called post market surveillance and pharmacovigilance are investigated and captured in investigations forms from regions and districts by staff of the Food and Drugs Board and health worker at all levels,” he pointed out.
Admitting that the vaccines could cause allergic reactions such as rashes, rapid swelling of deeper skin layers and tissue, asthma or severe multi-system allergic reactions due to hypersensitivity to certain vaccine components, the Minister maintained “local reactions such as redness, soreness and swelling at the injection site, less often can cause fever, muscle, joint aches or headaches.”
Dr. Kunbour who referred to the side effects following vaccination as ‘adverse events’ was however quick to point out that symptoms are generally mild, do not need medical attention and last one to two days.
Source: Daily Guide
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
2 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
2 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
2 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
2 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
2 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
2 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
2 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
2 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
2 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
3 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
3 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
3 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
3 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
3 hours