Audio By Carbonatix
Human Rights lawyer Francis-Xavier Sosu, has said, the Electoral Commission may disenfranchise many new voters if it does not take steps to regularise issues with its current registration system.
Mr Sosu made the remarks after visiting the Zonal Council in Madina where officers of the Electoral Commission were embarking on the limited Registration exercise, Tuesday.
“Today is day two of the exercise and we have had lots of complaints from our agents on the ground. We are interested parties and major stakeholders and must be worried if things are not going right. Most people came to join the queue before 7am and none of those people have been attended to so far and it’s past 11am. This is not right.
“If nothing is done about the system in place now, many first time registrants and hopeful voters may not have the opportunity to register,” Mr Sosu said.
He used the visit to interact with the Police, EC officials and many who had come to register.
Mr. Sosu, who is known widely for his human rights activism contested to be a Parliamentary Candidate on the ticket of the opposition National Democratic Congress in the 2015 Parliamentary primaries but lost narrowly to the then incumbent Amadu Sorogho in Madina.
He used the visit to interact with the Police, EC officials and many who had come to register.
Mr. Sosu, who is known widely for his human rights activism contested to be a Parliamentary Candidate on the ticket of the opposition National Democratic Congress in the 2015 Parliamentary primaries but lost narrowly to the then incumbent Amadu Sorogho in Madina.DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
2 hours -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
2 hours -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
2 hours -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
2 hours -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
2 hours -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
2 hours -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
2 hours -
Fire ravages wooden structures at Tantra Hill’s Golden Door area
2 hours -
Petrol prices to drop today with diesel up in mixed pump price review
2 hours -
Okoe Boye will help NPP win more seats in Greater Accra – Bawumia
2 hours -
I am open to work with everyone to win 2028 — Bawumia
2 hours -
Peace, security practitioners tasked to deepen stakeholder collaboration
3 hours -
Public pay system must balance fair wages with fiscal sustainability – Government
3 hours -
Niharika Handa makes history as King Faisal’s first female Board Chair
3 hours -
Gov’t disburses GH¢23.1bn to clear road contractors’ arrears – Roads Minister
3 hours