A man has been mauled to death by a lion caged at his family home in the eastern Czech Republic.
Michal Prasek owned the nine-year-old big cat and another lioness for breeding, reportedly drawing concern from local residents.
Mr Prasek's father found his body in the lion's cage and told local media it had been locked from the inside.
The animals – living in separate pens – were shot dead by police called to the scene.
A police spokesperson told local media that the shootings were "absolutely necessary for them to get to the man".
Mr Prasek, 33, bought the lion in 2016 and the lioness last year and kept them both in home-made enclosures in his back yard in the village of Zdechov.
He had previously been denied planning permission to build the pens and was subsequently fined for illegal breeding.
But his conflict with the authorities reached a stalemate after he refused to let anyone onto his property.
A lack of alternative facilities in the Czech Republic, or any evidence of animal cruelty, also meant the lions could not be forcibly removed.
Mr Prasek made headlines last summer after a cyclist collided with the lioness as he was taking her for a walk on a leash.
After intervention by police, the incident was deemed a traffic accident.
"Today's incident will perhaps finally help to resolve this long-term problem," said Zdechov mayor Tomas Kocourek.
- Korle-Bu doctor poisons colleague’s water with HIV blood
- NSMQ 2021: 3-man Sandema SHTS team without supporters, books place in final U/E qualifiers
- #FixTheCountry: Convenors of protest disappointed in Supreme Court over hearing scheduled for June
- EC must review processes leading to 2020 election results collation – Akoto Ampaw
- National security cloned #FixTheCountry protester’s mobile phone – Baker-Vormawor alleges
- Prince Misizulu named next Zulu king amid family feud
- 20 arrested in Atewa forest aren’t national security operatives – Oppong Nkrumah
- Ghana loses $200m to untapped online forex trading market
- Blunt and Blay: Real reason why the Church won’t allow a Muslim student to fast in a ‘Mission School’
- Akufo-Addo has not lived up to expectation – Kofi Bentil
#FixTheCountry: Injunction obtained by police was in order – Attorney General
Asantehene marks 71st birthday with May 9 remembrance
Some of the taxes imposed on citizens are a nuisance – Kofi Bentil
Pastor Allen Caiquo releases ‘Finally’ ahead of ‘Priest & King’ EP
#FixTheCountry organisers exhibited ‘bad faith’ during National Security meeting – Godfred Dame
Blaq Jerzee recruits Marioo, Eddy Kenzo on ’Sokoma’ track
13 types of guys who stay single and don’t ever find lasting love
Blunt and Blay: Real reason why the Church won’t allow a Muslim student to fast in a ‘Mission School’
I have no regrets participating in ‘OccupyFlagstaffHouse’ protest – Kofi Bentil
Neymar signs new Paris St-Germain contract
National security cloned #FixTheCountry protester’s mobile phone – Baker-Vormawor alleges
Akufo-Addo has not lived up to expectation – Kofi Bentil
Doubts over venue for Champions League final between Chelsea and Man City as Turkey added to red list
Covid-19: GHS Director of Health Promotion advises against #FixTheCountry demonstration
FanMilk launches NutriDay zinc fortified yoghurt