Olympic gold medalist, Martha Bissah, last Saturday thrilled fans at the El-Wak Stadium in Accra as she won the 1,500m race at the Interplast-Sea&Shore National Circuit Championship in a time of 4m 37s.
The championship, which formed part of the Ghana Athletics Association’s programme for athletes ahead of the upcoming All Africa Games (AAG) in Brazzaville, saw Martha beating Beatrice Konama (4m 44s) and Hawa Combat (4m 34s).
In the men’s 200m final, Shepherd Agbeko clocked 21.30 seconds to defeat Bright Tsitey (21.75 sec) and Stephen Opoku (21.77), while Prosper Goku maintained his record as the local best in the 3,000m division, triumphing again after his earlier heroics at similar competitions in Sunyani and at Akatsi.
Safia Bright failed to maintain her winning streak in the women’s 100m final at Akatsi, losing this time to Dorcas Gyimah in a very close race.
Sakat Lariba won the women’s 5,000 metres after clocking 17m 30s minutes to beat Millicent Boadi (17m 35s) and Elizabeth Azuure (17m 40s).
In other events, Robertson Tay won the men's discus and Mary Zuta emerged winner in the women division, while Diana Tetteh triumphed in the 100m hurdles.
In a post-event interview with the Graphic Sports, national athletics chief, Prof. Francis Dodoo, charged the athletes to use the competition to make a mark for themselves.
- ECG’s IT department resisting checks and balance moves by MD – Kwadwo Poku
- Gabby Otchere-Darko hangs out with Arsenal players after win over Spurs
- Akufo-Addo directs SIGA Boss to probe infractions in 2021 Auditor-General’s report
- I don’t feel sabotaged – ECG MD on credit purchase challenges
- I broke down after old tweets resurfaced – KiDi
- Declare state of emergency in mining areas – OccupyGhana to Akufo-Addo
- COCOBOD signs $1.13bn syndicated loan for 2022/2023 cocoa crop season
- Moody’s downgrades Ghana’s economy further within junk status
- Nana Ampadu to be buried on October 8
- Ghana’s Marcia Ashong is among 2022 most influential people of African descent
- Mankessim murder: We didn’t commit crime with mason; he only dug hole for burying a victim – Chief
- DBG partners GIRSAL to train staff of financial institutions on Agric-Financing
- Woman leaves husband after discovering he secretly love her sister
- Ajax want to qualify from the group stage – Mohammed Kudus
- GIJ SRC Women’s Commission launches 2022 women’s week celebration
- FBNBank supports Rotary community projects
- Reputation is very important – Alhassan Andani tells FBNBank talent cohort
- Fire destroys shops at leather section of Kumasi Central Market
- GWCL assures regular water supply despite flooding incidents
- Capt Ibrahim Traoré: From shy schoolboy to military ruler
- Choosing Chelsea over United was ‘best decision of my life’ – Mikel Obi
- Neighbour rescues 13 Zambia women held for six months
- Mankessim murder: Court adjourns case to allow police more time to investigate
- Nima Dreams: ‘Inadequate pitches causing decline in football talents’ – Mohammed Polo