Former Ghana international Michael Essien has backed Atletico Madrid midfielder Thomas Partey to skipper the Black Stars in future.
The 25-year-old has become a key player for four-time Africa champions since making his debut for the side against Mauritius in 2016.
He has for some time now been acting as the stand-in captain of the side in the absence of Asamoah Gyan and his assistance Andre Ayew.
The former Tema Youth player led the Black Stars team in the double-header international friendly matches against Japan and Iceland in June.
And according to Essien, Partey is a candidate for the team's armband after exhibiting qualities of a leader in the two games.
“There are good players in the team but I think Partey is doing great and he can lead the team,” he told TV3.
“He is doing wonderful with his Club and the National team as well, he captained the team on a few occasions and I think he will be a good leader.”
Partey has racked up 17 appearances for the Black Stars, scoring seven goals.
- Former NSMQ contestant, Francis Tetteh reported dead
- 13 reasons behind Akuapem Poloo’s sentencing
- NDC suspects doctoring of Techiman South election summary sheets
- Mahama must call sycophantic campaigners to order – Kunbuor
- Kuami Eugene reacts after KiDi said his communication is poor
- NRSA petitions MTTD to investigate Cocobod vehicle that broke traffic regulations
- We’re running into a credibility problem – Kunbour on unanswered calls for NDC’s election 2020 collated figures
- Stolen ring causes teenager’s finger to rot at Pantang
- Kuami Eugene describes critics of his attire during Range Rover presentation as shallow
- ECG to announce ‘dumsor’ timetable for works on Pokuase BSP
Kotoko to pay Maxwell Konadu $105,000 for breach of contract
Ghana’s CEOs Summit to push for Digital Economy Act
ECG releases ‘dumsor’ timetable; outages to begin May 10
Choosing Alan or Bawumia as 2024 flagbearer may not augur well for NPP – Ben Ephson
Worawora Government Hospital appeal to residents to donate blood
Cadre’s influence in NDC dwindling – Ben Ephson
Sibi residents in Oti Region call on government for access to potable water
People of Shiari calls on government for development facelift
BoG implements policies to accelerate digital financial inclusion
Man City withdraw from Super League; Chelsea set to follow
Teacher allegedly butchers man in Bono Region
Amasaman MP makes donation to Muslims to mark Ramadan celebration
Court rejects bail application of business executive held over spousal murder
Joy Sports team divided over European Super League
Majority of Ghanaians at risk of contracting Covid-19 if not vaccinated in next 2 to 3 months – Health experts