The Minority in Parliament has filed a motion praying the House to set aside the ruling of the First Deputy Speaker, Joseph Osei-Owusu on the 2022 Budget.
Joseph Osei-Owusu on December 1, 2021 ruled for the approval of the budget after the Minority had declined to engage in the business of the day.
According to the Minority Leader, the ruling contravenes the rules, conventions and practices of the House.
In a letter sighted by JoyNews and signed by the Minority Leader, called for the ruling to be set aside.
“That this Honourable house; sets aside the purported ruling of the 1st Deputy Speaker, Mr. Joseph Osei-Owusu, MP delivered on Wednesday, 1st December, 2021 against the motion moved by the Hon. Minority Leader, Mr. Haruna Iddrisu and seconded by the Hon. Member for Bawku Central, Mr. Mahama Ayariga, as captured on page 9 of the Votes and Proceedings of Wednesday, 1st December 2021,” part of the letter noted.
Parliament on December 1, 2021 approved the 2022 Budget Statement and Economic Policy of government presented by Minister for Finance, Ken Ofori-Atta on November 17 in the absence of MPs from the Minority.
Upon a motion by Majority leader Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu, and a vote by the House, the First Deputy Speaker, Joseph Osei-Owusu ruled that the earlier decision by the House to reject the Budget was in error and in violation of Article 104 (1) and caused it to be expunged from the records.
Parliament then proceeded to consider the motion on the budget and subsequently approved it.
- Akufo-Addo reshuffles ministers
- Turkey earthquakes: Ghana star Christian Atsu found after 26 hours under rubble
- He said just the ‘tip’, but now I’m pregnant; the story of a university fresher
- Businessman Ibrahim Mahama to fund treatment, education of former NSMQ ‘Shark’
- GES, Education Ministry to release academic calendar for SHS
- Turkey earthquake: “Huge and miraculous” – Christian Atsu’s local manager reacts to his rescue
- Turkey earthquake: Ghanaian students recount horror
- Demand for dollars ease; BoG sold only $9.2m on spot market
- Haruna Iddrisu did not sell out NDC to us – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
- Stonebwoy shares pictures of red carpet moments at 2023 Grammys
- Akufo-Addo donates cash, food items towards funeral of late Yagbonwura
- 60% of doctors are in Accra and Kumasi – Health Ministry
- 9 arrested in Atewa Forest for illegal mining
- Pencils of Promise commissions 197th classroom block
- Newmont Ahafo North Mining Project: Chiefs, youth groups appeal to government to apply state laws, warns WACAM
- Reshuffle is to reinvigorate government – Majority Leader
- Majority Leader stops taking fuel allocation in response to Ghana’s economic woes
- Digital Cooperation Organisation makes case for collaboration at LEAP in Saudi Arabia
- Asante Akim Marathon winner to compete in world cross country competition
- DDEP: Government commends bondholders who have tendered their bonds
- DDEP: Government grants 3-day administrative window for bondholders to complete processes
- Merqury Quaye to headline first DJ concert in Ghana on March 5
- Playback: One-on-one with Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
- ‘The Lord is your shepherd, you shall not want’ – Bagbin prays for Haruna Iddrisu and co
- Epixode hopes to be as big as Grammy winner Kabaka Pyramid ‘one day’