Audio By Carbonatix
The Minority in Parliament has poured scorn on a new government initiative aimed at providing 100,000 jobs for unemployed graduates in the country.
Richard Quarshiga who is Member of Parliament for Keta says the Nation Builders Corps (NBC) project is nothing more than a duplication of the Youth Employment Agency (YEA).
His comments come a day before the official inauguration of the (NBC) project.
The project is part of government’s effort at reducing rising graduate unemployment in the country.
The project has seven modules including the Feed Ghana module which will employ graduate as agric extension officers to help farmers; the Educate Ghana module to recruit graduates to help in teaching science and maths in Senior High schools; the Revenue Ghana module which will help the Ghana Revenue Authority in the collection of revenue; the Heal Ghana module which will employ nurses.
“We also have the Governance Ghana module where people will be attached to various local authorities. We are beginning this year by the grace of God we will be recruiting 100,000 graduates,” the Vice president Dr Mahamudu Bawumia said last week.
But the even before the project will begin the Minority NDC says the policy is a sham.
Richard Quarshigah told Joy News’ Emefa Apawu, Monday, government is “throwing dust in the eyes of Ghanaians.”
He does not understand why a new policy aimed at fighting graduate unemployment will be paying beneficiaries between 600-700 cedis.
“Government is not coming up with anything new” he said, adding, “this is just a duplication of function.”
According to him, the Youth Employment Agency (YEA) has similar modules and wondered why government “gave it a new name and created the impression as if it was coming up with something new.”
He challenged the government to come up with a more innovative way of solving the problem of graduate unemployment.
Latest Stories
-
Call off strike, give us one month to resolve payment issues – Education Minister appeals to GAUA
21 minutes -
GAUA to consult members after talks with Haruna Iddrisu as strike continues
33 minutes -
Being fast doesn’t mean perverting justice – Srem-Sai challenges critics to prove manipulation
2 hours -
Lawyers can’t decide how cases run – Srem-Sai fires back in vacation court row
2 hours -
Aksa case should ordinarily be handled by OSP, not EOCO – Manhyia South MP
2 hours -
Norway’s king admitted to hospital and put on sick leave
2 hours -
Education Minister engages university administrators over ongoing strike
3 hours -
Technological convergence, disruptive innovation and the future of youth education in Ghana
3 hours -
When the sirens become a national anthem: confronting Ghana’s road accident crisis
4 hours -
Aksa bribery scandal exposes deeper failures in Ghana’s procurement system – Manhyia South MP
4 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: KNUST, St. Louis strike gold as quarter-finals dreams come alive
4 hours -
Banks’ pre-tax profit jumps 40% to GH¢23bn
4 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: Anticipation builds as schools battle for supremacy in Round of 16
5 hours -
Banking sector deposits jump 25% to GH¢334.3bn in 2025 — PwC
5 hours -
Hostel Owners Association bares teeth over legality of rent control campaign against exorbitant fees
5 hours