Audio By Carbonatix
Government says the teenage girl, who was widely speculated to have been married off to 63-year-old Gborbu Wulomo of Nungua, Nuumo Borketey Laweh XXXIII, will be released to her family by close of today (18 April 2024).
This was after Naa Okromo’s family was made to sign a bond.
The Minister-Designate for Gender and Social Protection, Darkoa Newmann, in updating the press on the issue, also revealed that medical tests showed the girl is not pregnant, as earlier speculated.
Naa Okromo’s birthdate, July 18, 2008, also indicates she is 15 years old.
“The medical assessment of the child indicates that she is not pregnant, she has no immediate health concern.
“Naa Okromo’s date of birth on records at her crèche and primary schools she attended indicates that she is 15 years old, and she was born on July 18, 2008.
“The child will be reunited with her family after the parents have signed a bond,” Darkoa Newmann said.
Chieftaincy Minister Stephen Asamoah Boateng who was also present, stated that the 15-year-old was never married to Gborbu Wulomo, per their investigations.
“She wasn’t married to the Gborbu Wulomo, it was a ritual which she had been initiated…all they did was elevate her status to a Queen Mother,” he added.
Meanwhile, Deputy Attorney General Alfred Tuah-Yeboah, who was also present said no conclusion has been reached yet as far as the office of the Attorney General is concerned.
“Our office has taken possession or custody of the full docket on the matter and our officers are reviewing the matter, to know whether what took place was marriage or not”
On March 30, a video which was alleged to be a marriage ceremony between Gborbu Wulomo of Nungua and his customary wife, who was said to have been 12 years sparked outrage on social media.
The Police and other government agencies took up the matter, with scores of Ghanaians calling for the arrest of the Gborbu Wulomo.
Latest Stories
-
From Snapchat Stories to Snapchat Headquarters: Chef Abbys is taking Ghana to the world one plate at a time
2 minutes -
Photos: Vice President commissions 100 new Metro Mass Transit buses
9 minutes -
GNFS rescues seven trapped in crash at Peki-Tsiame
14 minutes -
GNFS rescues trapped driver after cargo truck overturns at Fante New Town
20 minutes -
Photos from JoyNews National Dialogue on youth and climate change
36 minutes -
Woman accused of threatening President Mahama granted GH¢1 million bail
44 minutes -
One dead, 4 injured in articulated truck collision at Assin Nsuta
53 minutes -
To Nationalise or Transform? Joy Business Hosts Roundtable on Ghana’s Extractive Future
57 minutes -
NACOC partners UPSA-RCC to train enumerators for baseline study on substance use among youth
1 hour -
Kay Codjoe Writes: The dangerous romance between inciteful extremism and “free speech”
1 hour -
From Ghana to Canada: The rising influence of Ghanaian scholars opening global doors for students
1 hour -
Gender Ministry backs Black Maidens ahead of crucial World Cup qualifiers
1 hour -
Many are called, but hostel fees have chosen few
1 hour -
8 suspects arrested in killing of queen mother at Atebubu
2 hours -
RaĂşl Castro indictment threatens to ignite war between US and CubaÂ
2 hours