Audio By Carbonatix
The National Youth Organiser of the opposition New Patriotic Party says the "democratisation of violence" in Tuesday's by-election in Talensi has tainted the victory of the National Democratic Congress.
Sammy Awuku told Joy News' Francis Abban he is surprised at the "level of dishonesty" shown by the NDC during and after the by-election.
He was responding to the Chairman of the governing party, Kofi Portuphy, who alleged that the pockets of violence which attended Tuesday's election were the machinations of the NPP.
Scores were injured in a hot-tempered election which saw the NDC recapture the seat it lost to the NPP in the 2012 elections.
While the NPP reported injuries to the 1st Vice Chairman, Freddie Blay the National Treasurer, Mr Abankwa Yeboah and a former Minister of State under the Kufuor regime, Rashid Bawa, the NDC also reported suffering attacks.
Properties including vehicles were destroyed in the skirmishes led by vigilante groups supporting the two leading political parties.
Chairman of the NDC Kofi Portuphy told the media Wednesday the violence was mainly perpetrated by the NPP, knowing very well they were going to lose the election.
He said a vehicle belonging to a DCE was badly damaged by hoodlums supporting the NPP. The vehicle had only the driver and two other innocent occupants, he narrated but the NPP shattered the windscreen, deflated the tires and destroyed the vehicle.
He said the occupants of the vehicle had been sent on an errand by the DCE only to be accosted by the NPP supporters.
But in a reaction the NPP Youth Organiser said the claims being made by the NDC chair were completely dishonest.
He said the NDC had already set in motion a propaganda machinery to rationalise and shift blame after a violent by-election.
He was also not happy with the role of the Police Service in yesterday's violent elections.
"For the police the earlier they put their foot down the better," he pointed out.
Sammy Awuku did not understand how the police were able to seize weapons he purports to have been concealed in NDC vehicles and yet were unable to arrest anybody for that offence.
Latest Stories
-
Social licence to mine can be withdrawn – Ga Mantse warns mining companies
25 seconds -
X1 Energy Drink Division One Super Cup: Attram De Visser secure third place after late own goal
37 seconds -
‘A mine may close, but the community must not’ – Ga Mantse calls for sustainable mining
3 minutes -
Deploy new approach to flood management — UG Pro VC
10 minutes -
Parents can buy additional NaCCA-approved textbooks for children – Deputy NaCCA boss
13 minutes -
Youth must have a real voice in national issues beyond jobs, creative arts – EU
15 minutes -
AGTC: How women-led initiative is turning golf into jobs and tourism opportunities
20 minutes -
Exporters call for single-digit interest rates to boost Ghana’s horticulture sector
24 minutes -
Young political leaders must look beyond party lines to strengthen Ghana’s democracy – EU
29 minutes -
25 female KNUST physics students receive GH¢87,500 Whittaker Foundation suppo
31 minutes -
Berekuso-Kwabenya-Kitase road project stalls as First Sky cites unsigned contract and funding challenges
34 minutes -
Interior Ministry urges strict enforcement of Armoured Bullion Vehicle standards in Ghana
36 minutes -
GNFS rescues trapped man after Ford F-150 crashes into Kia Rio at Suhum Niifio
38 minutes -
Firefighters need stronger protection from smoke, air pollution risks – Clean Air Fund
39 minutes -
Constitution guarantees speedy trials for all cases, not selected ones — Kpemka tells Deputy AG
40 minutes