A Class One boy in a school at Tema in the Greater Accra region has been left traumatized after a cleaner in his school sexually abused him.
The seven-year-old boy told Joy News, the incident happened on October 11, 20,18 when the cleaner stripped him naked and laid on top of him.
He inserted his fingers in his anus and also stroked his male organ until he developed bruises. “I (sic) tell him that it was painful but he said I am lying”, the boy recounted the experience to Joy News’ Maxwell Agbagba.
The family told the reporter, the alleged sexual assault has left the boy traumatised.
“The moment he got to the entrance of the school he panicked, he panicked…this is very alarming”, a distraught uncle recalled going back to the school with the boy after the incident.
“This is a seven-year-old boy who doesn’t know what is sex”, he expressed shock. The uncle fears, the trauma may redefine the boy’s understanding of sex to mean homosexuality.
The family wants psychological help for their son to “erase” their boy’s worst fears. The alleged defilement points to a growing trend of sexual assault on children.
A Circuit Court in Accra on Tuesday, October 2, 2018, remanded into Police custody, Alex Boateng a cobbler, for allegedly defiling an eleven-year-old girl at Achimota a suburb in Accra.
Boateng is said to have told the Police that he had sex with the victim on three occasions.
Emmanuel Kyei, a 40-year-old driver, was on Monday, October 2, 2018, remanded by an Accra Circuit Court for allegedly defiling a three-year-old girl at Dansoman, a suburb of Accra.
The accused is said to have inserted his finger and manhood into the victim’s anus and vagina
At least three children were defiled daily in Ghana in the years 2015, 2016 and 2017. That is over 1,000 children each year. The figures were contained in the 2017 Criminal Investigations Department Annual Crime Statistics report.
According to the 2017 Criminal Investigations Department Annual Crime Statistics, 1630 cases of sexual abuse of children were reported in 2015 alone.
In 2016, 1,341 were reported while and 1,685 were reported in 2017. It is instructive to note that these figures exclude rape. Greater Accra led as the region with the highest number of cases of sexual abuse during the period.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Mortuary workers to strike over unfavourable working conditions
- Gov't does not have what it takes to sustain Free SHS programme - Prof. Aryeetey
- Motorists appeal to government to fix street lights
- That's My Opinion: Is Free SHS for votes or for development?
- We used rubber bullets on Adentan protestors not live ammunition – Police
- KNUST primary teachers strike
- Petition for removal of Chief Justice sent to President
- Patrons ask for more of Luv FM-Golden Tulip Bridal Fair
- More classroom, dormitories from $1.5bn GETFund facility - Akufo-Addo
- Addis Ababa to host Ethio-Ghana Trade & Finance Conference in April 2019
- Ghanaian launches '100 Laptop Give Away Project' for African students
- Free SHS: Minister justifies aggregate 30s in ‘big’ schools
- Ghana will lose pride of place as best performing WASSCE country – Ablakwa fears
- 2019 Suzuki Jimny hits Ghanaian market
- Today's front pages