Audio By Carbonatix
The government of Ghana has successfully evacuated the first group of its nationals from Iran to Turkey, as part of an emergency response to rising tensions in the Middle East. At the same time, those in Israel will also be considered as soon as possible.
In a Facebook post on Friday, June 20, Foreign Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa stated that a separate meeting was held earlier this week with the Ambassadors of Israel and Iran to discuss the safety and evacuation of Ghanaians currently residing in these countries.

The meeting, according to him, led to the evacuation exercise.
"So far, the first batch of Ghanaians in Iran has been evacuated to Turkey successfully. Our fellow nationals living in Israel will be evacuated shortly," he said.
According to the Minister, the engagements with Israeli Ambassador H.E. Roey Gilad on Tuesday and Iranian Ambassador H.E. Ali Ghomshi on Wednesday formed part of President John Mahama's administration’s emergency evacuation strategy.

The discussions were aimed at securing border access approvals and ensuring the safe passage of Ghanaian nationals as hostilities escalate in the region.
Beyond the evacuation efforts, the meetings also served as an opportunity to deepen Ghana’s understanding of the ongoing conflict and to reinforce its diplomatic stance.
The Minister disclosed that he used the platform to express Ghana’s strong displeasure at recent public comments by the Israeli Ambassador, who questioned Ghana’s voting record at various international organisations.
“I urged him to respect our sovereign right to make independent decisions based on our longstanding globally acclaimed foreign policy principles,” he said.

These, he emphasised, are grounded in the 1992 Constitution and guided by Ghana’s pacifist approach to peace-building, commitment to non-alignment, respect for the UN Charter, adherence to a rules-based international order, belief in multilateralism, and compliance with international law.
He noted that these principles would continue to underpin Ghana’s position at global fora, especially at this pivotal time when the country holds a seat on the United Nations Human Rights Council and chairs the governing board of the International Atomic Energy Agency.

The North Tongu legislator called for restraint, urging Israel and Iran to commit to an immediate ceasefire and pursue a peaceful diplomatic resolution to their concerns.
Latest Stories
-
Joy FM to host maiden Back-to-School PrayerFest ahead of new academic year
2 minutes -
Ghana must legislate minimum community development obligations for mining companies – Mireku Duker
12 minutes -
GoldBod costs could have been minimised with better planning – Prof. Bokpin
13 minutes -
GoldBod operations imposing losses on BoG balance sheet – Prof Bokpin
17 minutes -
Mining must improve lives in host communities, not just national figures – Presidency
26 minutes -
Nigeria influencer arrested after seizure of cocaine worth $28m destined for the UK
40 minutes -
Gender Minister inspects nutrition training for School Feeding caterers in Northern Region
42 minutes -
GoldBod to fund rehabilitation of six water treatment plants affected by mining
46 minutes -
ORC challenges CSA cybersecurity sanction, says penalty was premature and procedurally unfair
48 minutes -
GoldBod to introduce gold traceability system by end of 2026 – Sammy Gyamfi
55 minutes -
Photos: Eleventh batch of Ghanaian evacuees arrive from South Africa
57 minutes -
GETFund explains mandate as EFPI expands partnerships to support Ghana’s education sector
1 hour -
US$4.8bn SME financing gap exposes Ghana’s credit challenge — A call for swift implementation of open banking, open finance reforms
1 hour -
Ghana is open to responsible mining, investment – Minerals Commission
1 hour -
Driver busted with cocaine at Accra International Airport
1 hour