At least one convict and a number of suspected criminals escaped from police cells at the Prampram Police Station Monday night.
A young man, named only as “Father,” convicted and sentenced to a four-year jail term by the Prampram District Court last week, is one of the jailbreakers.
Sources say his wife is helping police investigators to re-arrest him and hopefully the other suspects.
The exact circumstances of the jailbreak are unknown and police officers of the Prampram Police Station have remained tight-lipped over the escape.
Myjoyonline’s sources say frantic efforts are being made by the police to re-arrest the suspects and the convict.
Father, regarded by community members as a recidivist, was waiting to be transferred to Akuse Prisons following his conviction, but he took matters into his own hands and gave himself undeserved, probably tenuous, freedom.
He was arrested by citizens and handed over to the police after an attempted break-in and robbery.
The police prosecuted him and secured a conviction last week but were yet to transfer him to prison custody.
But Tuesday morning, sources within the Prampram Community reveal the police cell was found empty as all inmates had absconded.
Divisional Police Commander, ACP Godact Dodzi Hloedzi, repeatedly told Myjoyonline, “I will get back to you,” when asked to confirm the jailbreak.
As if they rehearsed the response to give journalists, the Divisional Crime Officer, named only as Supt. Felicia, also responded, “I will get back to you my brother.”
Some of the residents who played a role in the arrest of Father believe the police are probably hoping to re-arrest the suspects and the convict before answering any questions from the media.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Imported arms controversy: ‘Weapons pose security threat’ – Abotsi
- Climate change lessons included in new basic school curriculum
- We have employed 350,000 public sector workers - Veep
- 2 siblings washed away while playing in the rain
- Man charged with reckless driving wants to go to jail than home to wife
- Google launches one-stop shop for flights, hotels
- Baako wants CID boss changed
- 2 Suspected robbers killed in shoot-out with police at Kasoa
- NIA shuts down online portal for Ghana Card registration
- 5 years on; Rawlings, other NDC stalwarts remember PV Obeng
- Abuakwa South MCE urges youth to desist from using illicit drugs
- Who will be Ghana’s next possible IGP? Find out here
- Chinese man gets ten days in jail for giving his dogs “illegal” names
- Geddit Ghana announces winner of maiden promotion
- Zion College, Anloga celebrates 82nd speech and prize giving day