Parliament has unanimously approved the conversion of the Wa campus of the University for Development Studies (UDS), into an autonomous university to be known as the University of Business and Integrated Development Studies.
The decision was taken at the second reading of the University of Business and Integrated Development Studies Bill, 2018 in Parliament.
The motion was moved by the Minister of State in charge of Tertiary Education, Professor Kwesi Yankah and seconded by the Chairman of the Education Committee of Parliament, William Agyapong Quaittoo.
The campus was separated from the UDS in 2002 as the Faculty of Integrated Development Studies to provide opportunities particularly, to people in the Upper West Region to access University Education.
It will be dedicated to the development of business and integrated development studies.
The newly established University is expected to attract investors to the region, increase economic activities, generate revenue and create job opportunities.
Schools of the university will include School of Business, Law, Social Studies, Education and Lifelong Learning, ICT and others yet to be determined by the Uuniversity Council.
Member of Parliament (MP) for Wa West, Joseph Yieleh Chireh, welcomed the news and urged government to commit resources to the conversion of the university.
More News Headlines
- Adom FM editor win Media Personality award at MTN Heroes of Change
- Video: Two street preachers 'fight' in Kumasi
- The Ghana Grand tour: Celebs join UK High Commissioner for final lap
- Science set inventor, 26yrs, wins MTN Heroes of Change Season V
- African youth propose 'workable' solutions to achieving Africa beyond aid
- 7 busted over bus load of Niger-bound Indian hemp
- Communication gap caused widespread teacher anger over allowance – GES
- Photos: Lukula burns in tit-for-tat attacks in Savanna region
- Paris waiter 'shot dead over slow sandwich service'
- ‘We won’t take it!’ - Widespread teacher anger over ¢50 allowance
- 3 houses burnt down in renewed clashes in Savannah Region
- Video: Cronyism, exceptionalism killing local financial institutions - Wereko-Brobby
- New monitoring, evaluation system rolled out for malaria control programme
- Communication Ministry responds to Myjoyonline report on 2017 expenses
- 2 'PDS' imposters arrested for forcefully disconnecting supply