President of the National Paralympics Committee, Samson Deen has been elected new head of the Africa Paralympics committee at the ongoing General Assembly in Rabat, Morocco.
Samson Deen polled 24 of the total votes cast, beating Morocco’s Hamid El Aouni who polled 15 votes. Mr Deen replaces the outgoing APC boss Leonel da Rocha Pinto who has been in charge for 13 years.
The total of 41 delegates (38 in-person and 3 voting online) comprised of Presidents and General Secretaries of National Paralympics committees on the continent with 9 positions contested.
Positions of President, Secretary-General, Vice president Treasurer and representatives from the language communities (Arabic, English , French and Portuguese ) and the Athletes representative were contested.
Deen was elected President of the National Paralympics committee in 2019 and was endorsed by the Ministry of Youth and Sports who had Deputy Sports Minister Evans Bobie Opoku in Rabat to support his bid.
Ghana is aiming to become the first country to host the African Games alongside an African Para Games in 2023 and Deen’s election is viewed as a huge boost to achieving that.
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Go to school, don’t wait to get everything on your prospectus – Education Minister to SHS freshers
- We are one people – Bawumia and Mahama laud peaceful enskinment of new Yagbonwura
- Your electricity bill does not have a party colour – ECG MD
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- John Mahama files nomination to contest NDC flagbearer race
- GNFS expresses reservation over reopening of Kejetia Market
- AFCON 2023Q: Goalpost collapses and injures Wollacott in training
- EIU revises global growth forecast for 2023 to 2%
- Actor Mawuli Gavor and wife expecting first child
- Growth and Sustainability Levy breaches petroleum agreement, could trigger ligation – Petroleum Chamber
- IMF bailout to depend on government’s ability to achieve 55% of debt to GDP – Fitch
- Lamisi honoured in Netherlands for promoting Ghanaian culture
- Fitch upgrades Ghana’s rating to ‘CCC’
- JessiEmma releases ‘Amazing Grace’, a love song to God
- Producer Price Inflation falls to 50.8% in February 2023
- Debt Exchange: Insurers to re-strategise to avert threats to prompt payment of claims
- Shatta Wale gives conditions for return to VGMA
- Heeding Mahama’s advice would have prevented us from going to IMF on a stretcher – Sammy Gyamfi to Akufo-Addo
- “Consider cocoa pricing in your legislation”- COCOBOD Chief tells EU
- Former Black Stars player Emmanuel Oblitey dies at 69
- Mahama to speak on transparent financing of political campaigns today
- Eno Barony raps better than many male rappers in Ghana – Medikal