Audio By Carbonatix
NIGERIAN 2002 World Cup skipper, Austin Jay Jay Okocha, has been signed up to star in a lucrative football tournament in India, organisers said.
The top star could earn as much as $600,000 for eight weeks’ work. Executive Director of Celebrity Management Group (CMG), Baswar Goswani, claimed that his company has signed Okocha for the tourney, which is fashioned after the highly successful Indian Premier League (IPL) for cricket.
The other stars include Italy’s World Cup-winning skipper, Fabio Cannavaro, French World Cup star, Robert Pires, as well as England and Liverpool’s former star, Robbie Fowler. The 38-year old midfield star, who won Olympic gold as well as the 1994 Nations Cup with Nigeria, is one of several famous stars to feature in the eight-week competition, which kicks off on February 25.
Okocha last featured for Hull City in England in 2008 after featuring for the likes of Paris Saint-Germain, Bolton and Fenerbache of Turkey. He is currently running his business in Lagos and is on the technical committee of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).
Last month, he dismissed an offer to feature in an international beach soccer tourney in Lagos. Recently, he hinted on pursuing a coaching career. Nigeria’s former coach, Samson Siasia, has also been linked as one of the coaches of the six teams to be based in the Indian state of West Bengal for the first instance.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Study reveals high rate of uropathogens among Ghanaian elderly
1 minute -
Christabel wins first Star Chef title as Big Chef Season 5 begins
1 minute -
Tanker drivers begin three-day strike over alleged fuel measurement inaccuracies at BOST Kumasi
3 minutes -
Trump says US to reduce military drills with South Korea after it stayed out of Iran war
4 minutes -
Greater Manchester NDC UK branch elects new executives
5 minutes -
Ghana’s anti-corruption fight has stagnated— Transparency International
10 minutes -
UMB, ORC partner to make business registration easier for entrepreneurs
13 minutes -
Cedi is ‘long overdue for a refresh’ – Mahama
16 minutes -
GenCED urges NPP to extend 50% nomination fee reduction to women, youth and PWDs
20 minutes -
The source of cedi appreciation matters more than the appreciation itself
28 minutes -
Ashanti cocoa farmers welcome new COCOBOD Bill, back key reforms
31 minutes -
‘GoldBod is a very big scandal awaiting us’ – Afenyo-Markin
32 minutes -
‘GoldBod is failing’ – Afenyo-Markin cites IMF report on $1.7bn losses
33 minutes -
Fire destroys ICT lab at Gushegu Midwifery Training School, threatens licensure exams
34 minutes -
Defence Ministry welcomes Kenneth Gilbert Adjei as new Defence Minister
35 minutes