Today’s edition of The Law delved into the conversation about the validity of Islamic marriages.
What the law calls Mohammedan marriage is most preferred among persons of Islamic Faith in Ghana. A rigorous statutory framework exists for registration of such marriages and divorces.
It is mandatory that the marriage is registered within a week after it is celebrated or it is invalid. There are no lawful Islamic marriages in Ghana because since the law was passed in the colonial era, the Ministry of Interior has not put in place a regime to license Mohammedan Priests, and the MMDAs have no system for registering these marriages.
Today, Head of Marriages at the Registrar General’s Department complains 80% of marriages ordained in the Islamic religion in Ghana are not valid.
This disclosure is reported to have been made at a round table discussion on the theme “Working together for a better Society” organized by civic society organisation.
Join the programme as law experts educate viewers on the issue. They are; Managing Partner of Law Plus Attorneys, Dennis Adjei Dwomoh and Managing Partner at Hay and Partners @ Law, Hanifa Adjoa Yahaya.
Find the feed to the livestream below:
- My divorce drew me closer to God – New EC member Rev. Akua Ofori Boateng
- Russia ‘will bomb any country that arrests Putin’ – Former Russian president
- Beige Bank case: Nyinaku accused of issuing misleading investment certificates to unsuspecting customers
- I was praised for singing Teni’s song in church – New EC member
- ‘Hatred or truth’ – Woman’s message to son’s girlfriend shocks social media users
- Crackdown on fraudulent payrolls as Fair Wages and Salaries Commission hints at audit
- Directing CID to probe Jubilee House ‘galamsey’ claims could be plot to clear officials of wrongdoing – Dr Apaak
- Afena-Gyan turns down Black Meteors invitation for AFCON qualifier against Algeria
- AFCON 2023Q: Mohammed Salisu only fitness doubt ahead of Angola clash
- Proposed tax measures not new; will boost fiscal economy – Finance Ministry
- Livestream: TikTok CEO testifying before US Congress
- Government expects passage of 3 financial bills laid before Parliament
- Ghana v Angola: Jordan Ayew, Kudus start as Chris Hughton era begins
- The rising level of air pollution in West Africa
- Livestream: Parliament suspends debate on Akufo-Addo’s new Ministerial appointees
- Energy Ministry isn’t indebted to ECG; there was no disconnection of power supply – Egyapa Mercer
- 6-packs come with a risk of depression
- Fish farmers call for government support to address sector challenges
- Avoid appointments that give impression of jobs for boys and girls – Joyce Bawa Morgtari tells Akufo-Addo
- Man jailed 180 days for fondling minor’s breast
- Lynx signee, Kasar, releases first single ‘Oyibo’
- Cedi improves in value against dollar; $1 now ¢12.40
- Politicians’ quest to recoup investment in campaigns puts Ghana’s democracy at risk – Dr Pumpuni Asante
- NDC flagbearership race: Kwabena Duffour submits nomination forms
- Kelvynboy reveals how he benefitted from Tekno, Stefflon Don feature on ‘Down Flat’ remix