The Police have arrested a man believed to have masterminded a false terrorist attack on Accra Mall few weeks ago.
The suspect whose name is yet to be made public, published a hoax on social media claiming dozens had died in an apparent terrorist attack on Accra Mall.
The hoax published on September 24, 2017, went viral especially on Whatsapp creating fear and panic among many Ghanaians.
It came at a time when neighbouring Burkina Faso and Ivory Coast had experienced a painful terrorist attack which claimed scores of lives and left the sub-region even more vulnerable.
On Friday, the police released a statement saying the suspect behind the Accra Mall hoax has been arrested and assisting with investigations.
The suspect, 30, was “arrested in his hideout at Offinso in the Ashanti Region on November 1, 2017 and is currently in custody assisting police in investigations,” the statement said.
It is not clear yet the motive for spreading the hoax but the police insists the hoax “nearly destabilized business activities at the mall.”
The police cautioned the general public to desist from generating such hoax of a story because it has the capacity to investigate and fish out the perpetrators.
- Police arrest man flogging toddler in viral video
- ‘Akufo-Addo must resign; he’s giving us too much headache’ – Kpebu
- Loans to become more expensive as BoG hikes policy rate to 24.5%
- Black Sherif releases ‘The Villain I Never Was’
- Nigerian oil export terminal had theft line into sea for 9 years
- Ghana’s debt to GDP is not properly accounted for – Ato Forson
- Brother stands in as groom skips wedding to train
- BoG dollar auction: Demand outstrips supply by $72.2m as $1 hits ¢10.92
- IMF won’t lend to Ghana if debt levels are unsustainable – Theo Acheampong
- ‘Forget about votes; call Chairman Wontumi to account’ – Martin Kpebu to Akufo-Addo
- Livestream: PM Express business edition discusses impact of policy rate on businesses
- Gertrude Agyemang: Customer Service Week and the ECG prepaid meter challenge
- NDC has no evidence to prove my involvement in ‘galamsey’ – Ellembelle DCE
- KNUST students develop cost-effective instrument to measure temperature and light energy from the sun
- MP has been a challenge in fight against ‘galamsey’ in my district – Ellembelle DCE
- 2 women in court over alleged assault on Besease M/A JHS teacher
- Alberta Mortty: I love my breast; I love my life more
- Assistant headmaster of Mpatasie D/A dies in ‘galamsey’ pit
- 36 arrested in Ejisu for alleged network marketing scamming
- Akufo-Addo’s fight against illegal mining is a complete ‘419’ – Sammy Gyamfi
- #NoToGalamsey: Failure to deal with ‘galamsey’ could lead to street terrorism – Prof. Gatsi
- AngloGold Ashanti pleased with community support to ward off illegal miners from Obuasi concession
- Nigerian singer Teni gifts SHS teacher a car
- Prosecute Chairman Wontumi, Charles Bissue, others neck-deep in galamsey – NDC to Akufo-Addo
- Cities and Habitats, Ecobank launch ‘Rent to Own Boafo) home ownership package