Police have denied approval of the access route for a planned protest march by the Alliance for Responsible Citizens (AFRC) against the National Communications Authority (NCA).
AFRC intends to demonstrate against the NCA’s sanctions imposed on some 131 radio stations across the country, however, the law enforcement agency failed to give the green light, citing insufficient personnel to man the proposed route.
Reports indicate the police had early on granted that the protest march goes ahead.
AFRC Communications Director, Eric Adjei, has said in a press release dated Wednesday, October 25, 2017, that the move by the police is politically motivated.
He believes the government intends to frustrate AFRC’s rights.
“We see this as a subtle attempt by this intolerant Akufo-Addo administration to frustrate and thwart our efforts at organising this demonstration.
“We call on all our members and supporters to remain calm. We would like to assure you that no amount of intimidation will stop us from exercising our constitutional right in embarking on this demonstration on Monday, the 6th of November, 2017,” the statement said.
The NCA recently sanctioned a total of 131 FM Authorisation Holders it says have violated various aspects of the Electronics Communications Act (2009), Act 775.
A further 13 FM Authorisation Holders have been issued with reprieves as pertains to their authorisations.
The NCA also revoked completely the authorisations of 21 FM stations whose authorisations had expired over several years and were operating illegally.
- Ashanti NSS boss insults nurse for suggesting a change in prescription
- That is not my style – Ashanti Regional NSS boss apologises for insulting nurses
- Fire destroys shops at Kantamanto market
- Government still wasteful but imposes austerity on Ghanaians – Joe Jackson
- Petrol, diesel prices to go down by 10% – IES
- Fentuo Tahiru Fentuo: The day Kudus shone, in Jordan’s shadow
- ‘Mr and Mrs Adeleke’: Fans gush over photos of Chioma with Davido and her in-laws during 1st public appearance
- Nurse who was verbally abused by Ashanti Region NSS Boss no longer at Manhyia Hospital – GRNMA
- Ex-Black Stars midfielder Sulley Muntari retires, age 38
- NSS summons Ashanti Region boss for investigation
- TUC has never supported government going to the IMF – Joshua Ansah
- Court remands trader for defrauding entrepreneurs
- Manifestivities concert to make big return on December 18
- South African delegation to understudy Ghana’s small-scale mining sector
- Marriages are collapsing due to high cost of living – Dr Ato Forson
- Forget Ashanti Regional NSS boss’ apology; it is hollow – GRNMA
- Equip hospitals in Africa for swift pandemic response – Prof. Christian Drosten
- Kantamanto fire: Interior Minister commiserates with affected traders
- Minority fumes over Ofori-Atta’s absence during debate on 2023 Budget
- Northern Development Forum questions delay in construction of Pwalugu Multipurpose Dam
- Playback: PM Express discuss employment freeze in public sector
- Shut down market operations during fire safety education – Bureau of Public Safety Boss
- Kantamanto fire: We got intel about fire outbreak last week – Edward Atobrah
- Why General Arts students are ‘bleeding’ on social media
- 14 pupils receiving treatment after school bus somersaults, falls into a ditch